A&H

Farcical conditions

QuaverRef

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure
Level 4 Referee
So as some of you may have noticed, it’s a little windy today … is there a stage in which you’d consider the playing conditions farcical? Ball won’t stay still for set plays, goal kicks won’t leave the area?

The Referee Store
So as some of you may have noticed, it’s a little windy today … is there a stage in which you’d consider the playing conditions farcical? Ball won’t stay still for set plays, goal kicks won’t leave the area?

Depends what kinda set up, is there structural problems which could be sent flying, are punters at risk, altho the stadium safety officer etc will call that one
Footy wise, the two examples you quote are perfectly valid, as an indicator, watch the warms ups ( if applies), see what the gk kicks are doing
Without warm up, obv kick the ball around yourself prematch, and/or get the gk for example to take a few goal kicks. Whilst we know its not written in law that this is the marker for, too windy, if gk is booting his usual effort and its resulting in a corner against him, i class that as farce, i think level headed players would, its beyond what we expect from our game.

have used common sense at say, ball not staying still for goalkicks, ( yes i know its moving but you can do the same second half) credible at defending restarts, not so credible in the attacking third, plus of course pk, where as kids we have prob all been the guy to keep finger on the ball for the taker.

key for me is to tho call it early re wind, granted few of us are Zeus, what i would try avoid is calling it on 60 mins, leaving one team upset they managed play a 45 againgst the wind.
no that its our ultimate call but a game on 20min is surely not going to stand results wise, a game on 75 tho might,

supppse if you turn up at you are thinking, farce, and the mood of both teams is, farce, you have your answer even without kicking off.

if you want to be extra prepared, use the wearher forecast factually, guys, its blowing a xx the now, this shows its going to be xxx by half time, if its touch and go prematch, this would lean you to the no go zone

Last edited:
At grassroots my opinion is listen to the players and see what they want, you’re there to facilitate the game. If the players are happy then crack on.
Last week I had two Sunday league teams playing in the same colour shirt with only socks being the difference! Was hard but the players were happy enough and the game was played. Was odd refereeing based on sock colour lol

I wouldn’t have done that at Saturday though, nor do I think the players would have wanted/expected it (or been so disorganised in the first place to have let it happen!!)

Windy games give you a chance to see Goal Kicks and Corner Kicks going into the wrong net. What an opportunity to show our LOTG knowledge!

Windy games give you a chance to see Goal Kicks and Corner Kicks going into the wrong net. What an opportunity to show our LOTG knowledge!

goal kick i can imagine
i be stunned to see a corner go into ones own goal

never say never, as with most things its prob happened

Goal kick goals are very possible compared to a few years ago.

The ball is in play when kicked and moves.

It used to be necessary for the ball to leave the 18. So, as an AR, I'd line up with the PA line on goal kicks.

A powerful winds on a flopped goal kick could go in and never left the 18.

It used to be necessary for the ball to leave the 18. So, as an AR, I'd line up with the PA line on goal kicks.

What i have seen more of now, is goal kicks being played short, backwards...

and out for a corner!

But that would not be a goal . . .

Back