A&H

FA Refereeing Update (promotion)

Peach

Level 4 Referee
From the FA:

REFEREEING UPDATE

The Refereeing structure is separate to the National League System (men’s and women’s) and it
remains the intention for promotions and reclassifications to be implemented across the Refereeing
pyramids. As I am sure you will all know, the footballing environment is very fluid at this moment
with inconsistent season end dates across the variety of competitions, but we hope the synopsis
below helps understand the current position.

We have also reviewed the impact of the revised League structure changes on the restructure of the
refereeing pyramid for season 2020/21. Following discussions, we can also confirm that there
remains significant benefit in continuing with the implementation of the agreed changes (with a few
modifications). Consequently, the restructure will be implemented for 2020/21. Details of the
modifications will be communicated separately in due course.

Level 2A – Panel Select Referees and Assistant Referees
Once decisions have been made in respect of the constituent competitions for season 20/21, we will
review its impact on the Panel Select match officials. Communication will follow in due course.

Level 2B – Panel Referees and Assistant Referees
Once decisions have been made in respect of the constituent competitions for season 20/21, we will
review its impact on the Panel 2B match official lists. Communication will follow in due course.

Level 3 – Contributory League Referees & Level 4 – Supply League Referees
Following the decision for Step 3-6 Leagues to end the season now the marking season will finish as
planned, as of 30th April 2020. As football will not be played before this date, merit tables will now
be compiled to enable the FA to make decisions regarding promotion and reclassification.
Communication to Supply Leagues regarding the process for submitting final merit table positions
(Supply Leagues) will be sent in the coming days.

For those competitions who continue with the 19/20 season beyond 30 April, match officials will be
required to officiate on these competitions, but they will not be included in the 2019/20 merit
tables.

Level 5 to 4 – Senior County Referee Promotion Candidates
The marking season will finish as planned, as of 30th April 2020. As football will not be played before
this date documentation for promotion candidates can now be compiled. Communication to County
FAs regarding the process for submitting the documentation will be sent in the coming days.
The FA Referees’ Committee will take into account that some referees may not have met the
requisite number of games or received the required number of observations due to the season
finishing early. Their position will be reviewed on a case by case basis.

Level 6 to 5 – County Referee Promotion Candidates
The marking season will finish as planned, as of 30th April 2020.
The County FAs will be expected to take into account that some referees may not have met the
requisite number of games or received the required number of observations due to the season
finishing early. Their position should be reviewed on a case by case basis. Further information will
follow in due course.

Level 7 to 6 – Junior Referee Promotion Candidates
The marking season will finish as planned, as of 30th April 2020.
The County FAs will be expected to take into account that some referees may not have met the
finishing early. Their position should be reviewed on a case by case basis. Further information will
follow in due course.

Women’s Game Pathway Promotions
The promotion process for those officials within the Women’s game pathway remains applicable.
Consideration will be given to those match officials who have not met the requirements for the
necessary number of games or observations. This will be reviewed on a case by case basis.

The Referee Store
Disagree! For the majority on the forum it's quite clear. Promotions (demotions) will occur based on performance so far

Damn, can I apply for promotion 2020, it sounds a right doddle. I haven't spoiled one game this season (that's a personal record), I've not received any negative club marks or feedback and the players haven't slagged me off on social media....things are really improving!!! Elland Road here I come!!!

Damn, can I apply for promotion 2020, it sounds a right doddle. I haven't spoiled one game this season (that's a personal record), I've not received any negative club marks or feedback and the players haven't slagged me off on social media....things are really improving!!! Elland Road here I come!!!
Go on then. You keep saying how easy it is and how much you would have bossed it - no one is stopping you giving it a go!

I'll even volunteer to go and do the first observation free of charge, once we are out of lock down obviously ... :)
I'm not the one that made the newspapers !! Can we trawl that picture out again and explain this situation to the uninitiated 🥰 Its from the old RF days

Last edited:
Back