A&H

FA CUP

callmemyref

What level do you have to be in order to do a middle and line at FA Cup, and are there any benefits if you are given a game at the FA Cup

The Referee Store
What level do you have to be in order to do a middle and line at FA Cup, and are there any benefits if you are given a game at the FA Cup
It varies depending on the round. At the extra preliminary round the referee will be L5 and the assistants L6 or L7, but as more senior teams enter the competition the refereeing levels increase.

Not really sure what you mean by benefits, but if you referee any FA competition final you get awarded the FA badge, you don't get anything other than a match fee for earlier rounds.

Extra Preliminary round - L4 in the middle, L5 on the line
Preliminary round - 3 or 4 in the middle, 4 or 5 on the line
1st Qualifying round - 3 in the middle, 4 (maybe 5) on the line
2nd QR - 2b or 3 in the middle, 3 or 4 on the line
3rd QR - 2b (maybe 3) in the middle, 3 (maybe 4) on the line
4th QR - 2a or 2b in the middle, 3 (very occasionally 4) on the line and 4O

I've never seen anyone other than a 4 reffing in the cup, or vase for that matter
Agreed. For the early rounds, counties nominate which of their Level 5-7 should be used as ARs. From my experience, L4's in middle for Extra Prelim and mainly L3's in Prelim (depending on level of teams involved)

Extra Preliminary round - L4 in the middle, L5 on the line
Preliminary round - 3 or 4 in the middle, 4 or 5 on the line
1st Qualifying round - 3 in the middle, 4 (maybe 5) on the line
2nd QR - 2b or 3 in the middle, 3 or 4 on the line
3rd QR - 2b (maybe 3) in the middle, 3 (maybe 4) on the line
4th QR - 2a or 2b in the middle, 3 (very occasionally 4) on the line and 4O

i got very lucky last year with a 3rd QR match between a step 4 and 5 team and was on the line (as a 4), likely the best FA cup game i'll ever do! in the round after (step 1 v step 4) the 4th was a L4 (just for info)

i got very lucky last year with a 3rd QR match between a step 4 and 5 team and was on the line (as a 4), likely the best FA cup game i'll ever do! in the round after (step 1 v step 4) the 4th was a L4 (just for info)
Until this season the best I'd had was AR on the 2nd QR, and somehow I got appointed as 4O for a 4th QR match between two Step 1 teams 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: es1
I refereed my first FA cup game this season which was an extra prelim I think. Great day

Reactions: es1
I've never seen anyone other than a 4 reffing in the cup, or vase for that matter
Yeah, I was having a brain freeze there and thinking of something else. I've definitely seen L6s and 7s on extra-prelim rounds though.

Yeah, I was having a brain freeze there and thinking of something else. I've definitely seen L6s and 7s on extra-prelim rounds though.
Ah, maybe that's just how it's been down this neck of the woods then - I never got an FA comp appointment on the line until I was a 5, and I've never been out with anyone below a 5. Guess the CFAs down here only nominate 5s!

A lot will depend on the available officials and who the CFA nominate for the matches. l6 & L7 could get assistant roles, if they are well thought of in the CFA, especially if they are in CORE.

Given these matches are at the end of August, holidays can take a lot of experienced L5 out

Ah, maybe that's just how it's been down this neck of the woods then - I never got an FA comp appointment on the line until I was a 5, and I've never been out with anyone below a 5. Guess the CFAs down here only nominate 5s!
My first ever game on the line was as a L7 in the FA Vase ....

... in Ipswich. Four hour round trip, and when the referee picked me up his exact words were "right, where are we going then" 😂

• Haha
Reactions: ARF
I've done Women's FA Cup games as an AR as a 7.

I assume 3s and 4s could get middles quite far into the competition in that case?

I assume 3s and 4s could get middles quite far into the competition in that case?
Yes they can. Although understandably and rightly, female officials (those on the womens' pathway and / or the mens) get priority when they are available

I think they weren't quite so stringent with levels of officials for early rounds of FA Women's Cup and FA Youth Cup games, although I don't know if that would still be the case now. I definitely did Women's Cup middles as a 5 with a 7 on the line, and I know some Youth Cup games down this way in the past have had 5s in the middle.

Back