A&H

Fa cup final referee

Ciley Myrus

RefChat Addict
Genuine question, prob aimed at any aspiring younger refs but, its nearly set in stone that you referee one FA cup final.
In a way, is that fustrating for say Oliver today, who now knows despite having potentially 15 years at the very top level to go, he wont ever get the game again?
The showpiece game should get the show piece ref and unless he suffers an injury or a huge down turn in form, Oliver am sure will be a top top ref for many years
I get the prestige of getting to do it once. But we would never expect a player to satisfy all his carerr ambitions with one final, the motivation is there to go back again and again
Certainly Scotland has no one final rule, officially or unofficially.

The Referee Store
I didn't know about this. Whilst I don't think they should be using the best referee every year (MO), it's nonsense to only use that ref once

I’ve officially ruled myself out of next seasons showpiece after my unsuccessful 7-1 jump. Good luck to you lot but I felt it was only fair to give the rest of you a chance as I seek pastures new! :)

It's a tradition and one that I can't see being changed. That said, since the introduction of the Select Group there are far fewer referees and assistants to choose from, and it is likely to cause a problem with only 18 referees to choose from. They could have the farcical situation where the top 12 performing referees are ineligible meaning they have to give it to one of the worst 6 performers.

It's a tradition and one that I can't see being changed. That said, since the introduction of the Select Group there are far fewer referees and assistants to choose from, and it is likely to cause a problem with only 18 referees to choose from. They could have the farcical situation where the top 12 performing referees are ineligible meaning they have to give it to one of the worst 6 performers.
2DC5373C-30B8-4968-B522-9F6FA2A53875.jpeg

Back in saddle in August!!! :angel:

Yip, extreme I know but as a referee also, do you want the game given you because " its your turn." Or indeed give a Utd V Liverpool game that would never be given to say, Rodger East or Mike Jones if it was a league game.
The intensity and traditional of the cup final day is slowly dying and I would not be surprised if the one final rule died out also, esp as its so commercial and business like now, there can not always be room for tradition.
Oliver must be a bit flat knowing he at present cant get another FA Cup final.

Here's the current list of refs on the Select Group that haven't done an FA Cup Final.

Attwell, East, Friend, Kavanagh, Madley, Mason, Pawson, Scott, Tierney.

If there are some top 6 FA Cup finals in the next couple of years, the FA doesn't really have a big gun to put on it.

East and Mason can be ruled out its safe to say, with Friend just in behind them
Pawson for next seasons unless Madley has a return to form

Middlewood in Sheffield has always been a hotspot for the finest referees. Craig and I can almost exchange smalltalk over our respective walls! But I’ve put just some spray down to ensure he doesn’t encroach! :(

Back