Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Anthony Taylor

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Southend-ref

Southend United Supporter
Level 6 Referee
Who will it be? My money is on Kevin Friend in the middle and Mark Clattenbrug as fourth official.

The Referee Store
Bearing in mind that officials can only do the middle (or line) once in your career, the list is smaller than you;d think. Then add in the criters for who they want, performance etc, and look at the 2 - 3 year staggered beween 4th official and the middle, my money would be between Mike, Anthony or Kevin.

Could it be Mike as has performed well this year?
Did Anthony's messes up sub / freekick / goal nogoal strike him out of it?
Should Kev be remunerated for the kerfuffle of being dropped for the Leicester game?

Decisions decisions indeed.

But TBH, my eyes are on who will be running the lines. We often leave out the assistant referees, but remember - you have TWICE the chance of making it as an assistant.....

At L3 you now have to choose between Ref or AR for your career choice; go for Ref and if you make it = glory, if you don't, your out. If you go for AR there's twice the chance, all the fun of the games, and a lot less of the pressure.

My money's on Kev!

Clattenberg as I believe UEFA like their prospective final referees to have refereed their domestic cup final

I've heard that too, but The FA also seem to like to give the Final as a 'swansong' at the end of a career.

I think Oliver or Clattenburg deserve it most myself, but highly doubt it will be either of them.

They've got plenty of time for it to come in the future as well.

My bet's on Mike Jones. By his standards had a very good season and it's often the case the chosen individual has been 4th man before,something Jones has done and not Clattenburg.

i don't think you can give it to Jones just because he's had a good year by his standards. Doesn't set a very good example for what is the showpiece final in england.

Dont think Clattts will get it. Given who is playing, I suspect that it will go to one of the older / long serving guys on the Select List - Lee Mason or Neil Swarbrick. Kevin Friend has a chance later in his career.

Last edited:
I've actually given this one quite a lot of thought today.
In my opinion our 4 best referees this year have been:
Clatts - Yet to be 4th official so you assume it won't go to him
Dean, Atkinson, Moss - All have already done an FA Cup final so obviously can't be them

Then, in my opinion, the 2 SG referees whom I rate the least and believe should be in the Football League (without wishing to sound horrible):
Mike Jones - Stands a good chance, was 4th man in 2012
Kevin Friend - Was 4th man in 2014 so also stands a good chance

I really don't think that Jones or Friend have had great seasons, so looking at who else could be appointed, it leaves two options:
Anthony Taylor or Craig Pawson. Would be happy with either of them.
If the bookies were to offer odds my money would be on Taylor.

Dont think Clattts will get it. Given who is playing, I suspect that it will go to one of the older / long serving guys on the Select List - Lee Mason or Neil Swarbrick. Kevin Fiend has a chance later in his career.

Kevin Fiend :D:D:D:D

Reactions: SM
Won't be Anthony Taylor, he did ManU v Everton semi-final.

Craig Pawson, too young and only recently added to SG.

Can't see it being Anthony Taylor as he did a semi-final. Also worth noting that Jon Moss was never the fourth official.

I'll let the fa know :)

I can see the headlines now: ref and assistants ruin game in cup final. Same old same old...

at least we won't be slated for wearing UEFA Adidas training gear ... unlike those 'other' amateurs :eek:

Back