A&H

FA CORE

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
I was wondering if there’s anything I could do to make myself more likely to be nominated to be on the CORE programme. I think I need at least whole year of experience of refereeing which I’m almost at, but was wondering the sort of things I can do to increase the slim chances. Cheers

The Referee Store
I'm on it this year and the selection criteria, at least in my county for it is "referees that the county believes are likely to be officiating at Level 4 within the next 5 years"

Its a little like the xFactor - we've got the following categories:

L7 - Under 25
L7 Over 25
L6
L5
Those doing 5-4 this year.

The first thing that will get you noticed will be a promotion application starting in March as thats the first step on the path. I believe the L7's and 6's selected are all on a current promotion season. The expectation of us L5's that are not is that we will be applying for 5-4 starting in March 2019.

I'm on it this year and the selection criteria, at least in my county for it is "referees that the county believes are likely to be officiating at Level 4 within the next 5 years"

Its a little like the xFactor - we've got the following categories:

L7 - Under 25
L7 Over 25
L6
L5
Those doing 5-4 this year.

The first thing that will get you noticed will be a promotion application starting in March as thats the first step on the path. I believe the L7's and 6's selected are all on a current promotion season. The expectation of us L5's that are not is that we will be applying for 5-4 starting in March 2019.
Ah I see, thanks. Probably going to wait a year or two before promotion to 6 so I can get some OA games under my belt. I’m AR in a fairly high standard league for U18 which is helping me get a little experience. I’m 18 now so will be 20 if I decide to go for the season after next, so I should fit the criteria if I’m a good enough referee...

I was wondering if there’s anything I could do to make myself more likely to be nominated to be on the CORE programme. I think I need at least whole year of experience of refereeing which I’m almost at, but was wondering the sort of things I can do to increase the slim chances. Cheers
I presume you are talking about your county's CORE program. I think you are underestimating your chances and overestimating the difficulty of getting in. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it's my assumption that pretty much all promotion candidates (unless you're doing something majorly wrong) are accepted into their county's CORE program?

I presume you are talking about your county's CORE program. I think you are underestimating your chances and overestimating the difficulty of getting in. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it's my assumption that pretty much all promotion candidates (unless you're doing something majorly wrong) are accepted into their county's CORE program?
Ohhh, I presumed it was just for like the best refs in the County...

Ohhh, I presumed it was just for like the best refs in the County...
It's really worthwhile, I'm not trying to play it down, but you should get in no bother. If it works similarly between counties that is. I suppose it could also depend on numbers etc.

It's really worthwhile, I'm not trying to play it down, but you should get in no bother. If it works similarly between counties that is. I suppose it could also depend on numbers etc.
What sort of benefits do you get? I believe you get a mentor and tuition, is there much else?

What sort of benefits do you get? I believe you get a mentor and tuition, is there much else?
In my county its regular meetings, including 2 practical workshops on a Sunday. We get an assigned coach and there is a whole self evaluation form to complete after each game.

Very useful to do all of those and its helped me identify some links between some of my decision making and dissent cautions.

I know a few people involved in CORE. Can I just say that if you are selected, don't waste the opportunity. There are ambitious young referees who would sell their grannies to get in. It's a fantastic opportunity, so don't waste it.
Hopefully I can get selected but because I’m new and haven’t been observed much because of my location (I’m pretty much on the border between my two counties) my hopes aren’t too high...

Thank you for the reminder. Still need to get a myth-buster article published in the newsletter for this one.

One of the more "polite" slatings is that it means County's Older Refs Excluded. Want to give the people in charge a chance to tell everyone else what it is, and challenge the misconceptions around it. There's something of an information vacuum which helps nobody

Thank you for the reminder. Still need to get a myth-buster article published in the newsletter for this one.

One of the more "polite" slatings is that it means County's Older Refs Excluded. Want to give the people in charge a chance to tell everyone else what it is, and challenge the misconceptions around it. There's something of an information vacuum which helps nobody

Actually one of the things I said when I got asked was I felt I was too old for it (43) as it was for younger refs. I got told in no uncertain terms by my RDO that it was not the case and they selected people on ability not age. Its been a great program so far and i'm getting a lot out of it.

Back