A&H

FA Consistency - Troy Deeney

alexgr

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
RE the controversy regarding Troy Deeney's celebration after his goal at the weekend where he swore with both middle fingers. You may recall some time ago Jack Wilshire was charged for a very similar offence, Deeney gets nothing. Where is the consistency in punishment? No wonder football fans are dismayed...

The Referee Store
The problem here is people don't understand the process. The FA does not decide if the player is guilty. In this case, an independent panel of 3 former elite referees didn't unanimously agree the player should be charged, therefore no charges are brought.

When I saw the pictures, I thought that has to be a charge, but when I saw the video, it's not an extended middle finger celebration. He very cleverly flashes the fingers for one or so seconds and then transitions into a different celebration. Not that it's right, but had it been longer, I can't see how they couldn't charge him.

Got away with it in my opinion. Should have been charged regardless, especially because he has a lot of previous.

@Kieran W regardless of who it is doing the charging, the same gesture but different punishment?

@NorthLondonRef Yeah fair point - regardless though, the fact that he has been "warned" shows that someone at the FA recognises there's been some sort of wrongdoing. You don't get warned otherwise...how you don't get charged though is beyond me

When did snowflakes take over the agenda? Back in the day footballers took a bit of stick and gave a bit back, I remember Micky Quinn getting dogs abuse for his weight at Bramall Lane, he then scored, grabbed the ball and shoved it up his shirt, and gave the Kop the Royal finger, everyone laughed, he got an ovation and we moved on!!! No-one was slightly bothered that it was a bit naughty!!!

When did snowflakes take over the agenda? Back in the day footballers took a bit of stick and gave a bit back, I remember Micky Quinn getting dogs abuse for his weight at Bramall Lane, he then scored, grabbed the ball and shoved it up his shirt, and gave the Kop the Royal finger, everyone laughed, he got an ovation and we moved on!!! No-one was slightly bothered that it was a bit naughty!!!
Moral outrage is in fashion. Get with the times SF. ;)

Unfortunately we live in a day and age where snowflakes are offended by just about everything and when they have finished being offended by everything, they still get offended because they have nothing left to be offended by! :D

Not seen the incident so can’t comment on whether he should or shouldn’t have been charged.

If he stuck his middle fingers up that is an offence, but the crime is getting caught, and he didn’t.

Some people need to get some perspective, or just stop getting outraged just for the sake of getting outraged.

Not seen the incident so can’t comment on whether he should or shouldn’t have been charged.

If he stuck his middle fingers up that is an offence, but the crime is getting caught, and he didn’t.

Some people need to get some perspective, or just stop getting outraged just for the sake of getting outraged.

He put both middle fingers up. He didn't get caught at the time but it was flagged afterwards like many things of this nature.

The problem is, if you ban and fine one person for the same thing, you need to do it for everyone. It's all well and good not banning Deeney but then you can't ban Wilshere for two games for doing the same thing. And plus, being outraged for the sake of being outraged is one thing, but you can't have players scoring goals and then going around sticking their fingers up willy nilly.

He put both middle fingers up. He didn't get caught at the time but it was flagged afterwards like many things of this nature.

The problem is, if you ban and fine one person for the same thing, you need to do it for everyone. It's all well and good not banning Deeney but then you can't ban Wilshere for two games for doing the same thing. And plus, being outraged for the sake of being outraged is one thing, but you can't have players scoring goals and then going around sticking their fingers up willy nilly.

But obviously his offence wasn’t the same of Wilsheres, or he would have been banned. If the panel that decides these thing couldn’t come to unanimous decision then he doesn’t get banned.

And I agree players shouldnt be running around giving people the middle finger after scoring a goal, and if caught hey should be punished.

I would deal with this appropriately if it occurred in one of my games, and I saw it, Deeney not getting banned doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

No one died, went to hospital, or went to prison so in the grand scheme of things it’s just an over paid sportsman being a bit of a tit.

But obviously his offence wasn’t the same of Wilsheres, or he would have been banned. If the panel that decides these thing couldn’t come to unanimous decision then he doesn’t get banned.

And I agree players shouldnt be running around giving people the middle finger after scoring a goal, and if caught hey should be punished.

I would deal with this appropriately if it occurred in one of my games, and I saw it, Deeney not getting banned doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

No one died, went to hospital, or went to prison so in the grand scheme of things it’s just an over paid sportsman being a bit of a tit.

It was the same act. It was the same offence as Wilshere's as in he stuck his middle finger up, two in fact, waved them about for a couple of seconds, whereas Wilshere flipped his finger for the same amount of time. The panel should have come to an unanimous decision and he should of been banned.

Like you, I'm not bothered either way, but there has to be consistency in the punishments. Essentially the message the panel have sent out is that players can now celebrate by flashing their middle fingers in the air for a couple of seconds. That's what infuriates fans. I've got no problem with it, let's get wild and let players swear like idiots during celebrations but you either let them all off if the ref hasn't seen it or punish them all in my opinion. How the panel couldn't come to an unanimous decision is beyond me.

It was the same act. It was the same offence as Wilshere's as in he stuck his middle finger up, two in fact, waved them about for a couple of seconds, whereas Wilshere flipped his finger for the same amount of time. The panel should have come to an unanimous decision and he should of been banned.

Like you, I'm not bothered either way, but there has to be consistency in the punishments. Essentially the message the panel have sent out is that players can now celebrate by flashing their middle fingers in the air for a couple of seconds. That's what infuriates fans. I've got no problem with it, let's get wild and let players swear like idiots during celebrations but you either let them all off if the ref hasn't seen it or punish them all in my opinion. How the panel couldn't come to an unanimous decision is beyond me.

I completely agree, there should be consistency as far as possible, but that’s not always possible.

Especially in a case where 3 people have to come to a unanimous decision. I’m not sure who sits on these panels.

Back