A&H

Exciting Tournament

Ryan Owens

Token Colonial
Level 3 Referee
I'm going to Newfoundland in two weeks to referee in the Under 15 National All-Stars tournament wherein the provincial teams (not clubs but select players from across the provinces) convene and compete. I got the invitation to this thanks to a good performance at the U14 National Club Tournament (this time, each province sent a single club - the club which won the provincial league). I'm very excited but also rather nervous. This will be a higher standard of football than I'm used to.

The Referee Store
Sounds like a great tournament. I'm sure you'll be fine

There will be plenty of national level referees there so I suspect it will be a fantastic learning experience.

Sounds great! Really missing my football at the moment :(

I only managed 3 games last season due to injury. Just hoping my treatment works

Yeah. That's exactly what I'm doing at the moment

Well that treatment ain't gonna work for you, Ross, mate. Might wanna do a little more :p

What like making a sacrifice to the gods? :D

Seriously, I'm waiting on some physio, just want to avoid surgery if I can

I'm doing physio on both my legs because the muscles in the back are absolutely knotted to ****e. All this an only 19 years old!

I've basically got Osteoporosis. Something you don't really get until your 50+. Wouldn't mind but I'm only 28 :(

You win (or is that lose?) Terrible luck, mate, hope there's something you can do for it!

Taking calcium supplements and waiting on physio. Hopefully that'll do the trick

Thanks Lewys. I'm getting nervous now since I leave tomorrow and I've never flown. I received a message from the Canadian Soccer Associations' Director of Referees and Fitness and it looks like there is a symposium for two days before the tournament actually begins which is rather exciting. The schedule is as follows (I'm very excited to get some more instruction than we usually get - particularly the on-field component):

Saturday 16 July

19:00 hrs Welcome, Opening Remarks, Outline of the course/administration

Sunday 17 July

Breakfast

9:00 hrs Practical Sessions

AR Running Technique

AR Flag Signals-Basic

AR Decisions-Throw-in

AR Decisions-Goal kick & Corner kick

10:20 hrs Break

10:35 hrs AR Decisions-Offside, Basic

AR Decisions-Offside, Enhanced

Referee Skills-Basic

12:00 hrs Lunch

12:30 hrs Classroom Session

Pre-Match Preparation

Communication Skills

Teamwork

Fourth Official

Monday 18 July

9:00 hrs Practical Sessions

Referee Skills-Foul recognition

Teamwork-Fouls inside/outside penalty area

10:20 hrs Break

10:35 hrs Teamwork-Offside

Referee Skills-Managing penalty kicks

Referee Skills-Concentration

12:00 hrs Lunch

12:30 hrs Classroom Session

Recognizing Challenges

Handing the Ball

14:45 hrs Break

15:00 hrs Offside

16:00 hrs Education evaluation

Pre Tournament meeting with assessors in attendance

First day match assignments & Competition Rules

Ooooh exciting! Good luck with it. Be sure to let us know how it goes

Update number one is a short one, only to say that 4:30 AM came awfully early. I'll be heading out to the airport in about a quarter of an hour. I'll post again when I'm on the ground in Newfoundland! Cheers, lads.

Back