A&H

Exam Advice

claddagh

Level 6 Referee
Have just completed my 2 day basic referee course this weekend. Have my exam paper on Wednesday evening & swatting up on LOTG, but can anyone recommend any good online sample exam paper quiz/questions that could help me prepare?

The Referee Store
I haven't got any, unfortunately - sorry. However, if I were you, make sure you know all of the measurements (length and width of field of play, ball pressure, etc), and when reading the questions look out for words that will give you the answer, i.e. A red player went in carelessly, or A blue player was reckless in his tackle. Therefore it means you know what should be the restart and sanction, if any. Good luck! :)

http://areferee.com/soccer.php - lots of test on there, knock yourself out!! ;)

Also two key areas to revise - powers and duties (law 5) and penal (direct free kick) offenses. I learn these by working my way up my body ie Kick, Trip (ankle), Jump (knees), tackle (you work that one out), Charge (shoulders), Strike (elbow), push (hands) then the last 3 to remember are spitting, handball and holding an opponent

easy peasy.... I've passed the exam twice now, it really is nothing to worry about if you know the LOTG

I agree with a referee.com. excellent resource which I still use. Also have a look at mnsrc podcasts on YouTube.

make sure your read the magic book, don't leave it to the last minute and you will be fine, good luck :D

If I have got any of these incorrect I would be grateful if you give guidance as to why I am wrong... Thanks

Question 1:
During the game a blue attacker runs down the wing and sees the red defender blocking his way.
He plays the ball past him, and runs off the field of play to get around him, before coming back on and continuing his run. What should you do?
A.
Stop play, and caution the blue player for leaving the field without permission. Restart with a drop ball.
B.
Stop play, and caution the blue player for leaving the field without permission. Restart with an indirect free kick to the red team.
C.
Allow play to continue, as no offence has been committed.
D.
Stop play, and restart with an indirect free kick to the blue team for impeding the progress of an opponent (obstruction).
Answer
C
Question 2:
At a substitution a player preparing to come on is wearing a ring that is covered in tape. He tells you that he cannot get it off. What should you do?
A.
Allow him to play, so long as the ring is taped up.
B.
Inform the player that if he cannot remove it, he cannot play.
C.
Allow him to play and report to the FA afterwards.
D.
Ask the player to try and remove it while you watch. When satisfied let him on to play.
Answer
D
Question 3:
The blue team wins a throw-in. The blue defender, Number 4, takes it 10 metres closer to his own goal, than where the ball went out. Do you?
A.
Allow play to continue as no advantage has been gained.
B.
Stop play, and award a foul throw to the red team.
C.
Blow the whistle and have the throw retaken from the correct point.
D.
Award an indirect free kick to the red team.
Answer
A
Question 4:
You award a direct free kick to the red team’s goalkeeper in the goal area. Where should the kick be taken from?
A.
At the point where the offence took place.
B.
At the point on the goal area line closest to where the offence took place.
C.
At the point on the goal line closest to where the offence took place.
D.
Anywhere in the goal area
Answer
A
Question 5:
At the toss, before the game starts, the red captain spits at the blue captain. What should you do?
A.
Send the red captain off, show him the red card, and allow him to be replaced by a named substitute.
B.
Send the red captain off, show him the red card and advise the red team that they must play the game with 10 players.
C.
Complete the toss, allow the red captain to play, and report him for misconduct after the game.
D.
Postpone the game on the grounds of gross indiscipline.
Answer
A
Question 6:
A blue defender trips a red attacker outside of the penalty area. The ball breaks to another red attacker who controls it, and goes around the goalkeeper, thus facing an open goal. He shoots and puts the ball wide. Meanwhile the attacker who was fouled demands the free kick.
What do you do?
A.
Restart with a direct free kick to the red team.
B.
Restart with a goal kick.
C.
Send off the blue defender for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity, and restart with a direct free kick to the red team.
D.
Caution the blue defender for unsporting behaviour and restart with a direct free kick to the red team.
Answer
B
Question 7:
A red player plays in a dangerous manner. What should you do?
A.
Stop play and award the blue team an indirect free kick.
B.
Stop play, caution the red player and restart with a direct free kick.
C.
Stop play, caution the red player, and restart with an indirect free kick.
D.
Stop play, send off the red player, and restart with a direct free kick.
Answer
B
Question 8:
The red team is defending, and they have a free kick near the corner flag. The defender takes the kick and plays it across the area to the goalkeeper. However the ball misses him and goes into the goal. What should you do?
A.
Restart play with a corner kick to the blue team?
B.
Award the goal and restart with a kick-off?
C.
Restart with a goal kick?
D.
Retake the free kick as the ball never came into play?
Answer
A
Question 9:
You arrive at the park where the game is to be played. There are no corner flags present. The home team informs you that their corner flag posts have been stolen and they have no spares. What should you do?
A.
Play the game, and report to competition authorities afterwards?
B.
Postpone the game?
C.
Mark the corners with spare jerseys or kitbags?
D.
Ask the club linesmen to be more vigilant when the ball crosses the touchlines?
Answer
B
Question 10:
You blow the whistle to start the game. Before the red players kick the ball, a blue player enters the centre circle and closes to within a metre of the ball. What should you do?
A.
Blow the whistle, stop the game and retake the kick-off?
B.
Blow the whistle, stop the game, and caution the blue player for failing to retire the correct distance. Restart play with an indirect free kick?
C.
Restart play with an indirect free kick?
D.
Restart play with a direct free kick?
Answer
A
Question 11:
A blue player tackles a red player using excessive force. What should you do?
A.
Send him off?
B.
Blow the whistle, stop the game, and caution the blue player. Restart play with an indirect free kick?
C.
Blow the whistle, and stop the game. Show the blue player the red card, send him off and restart with a direct free kick where the offence occurred?
D.
Blow the whistle, and stop the game. Show the blue player the red card, send him off and restart with an indirect free kick where the offence occurred?
Answer
C
Question 12:
The ball goes out of play over the touchline and into a hedge. A spectator goes to retrieve it. Meanwhile the red team player who is going to take the throw, picks up a spare size 4 ball prepares to throw it in. What should you do?
A.
Allow play to continue and replace the ball when it next goes out of play?
B.
Blow the whistle, stop the game, and have the throw taken with the correct size 5 ball?
C.
Blow the whistle, stop the game and award the blue team an indirect free kick when the match ball is returned?
D.
Blow the whistle, and stop the game. Restart with a dropped ball?
Answer
B
Question 13:
The ball is out of play for a throw in, and the blue team indicates that they want to make a substitution. The blue number 6 makes his way towards the touchline to be replaced. On the way over he violently headbutts the red number 6. He leaves the field and the substitute, number 14 comes on. What should you do?
A.
Show the blue number 6 the red card and send him off. Restart with a throw in?
B.
Show the blue number 6 the red card and send him off. Inform the blue number 14 that the substitution has not been completed, and that he must leave the field. Restart with a throw in?
C.
Show the blue number 6 the red card and send him off. Restart with a direct free kick to the red team?
D.
Show the blue number 6 the red card and send him off. Inform the blue number 14 that the substitution has not been completed, and that he must leave the field. Restart with a direct free kick to the red team?
Answer
B
Question 14:
The red goalkeeper takes a goalkick. The ball reaches the penalty mark when a strong gust of wind blows the ball backwards and it goes into the goal. What should you do?
A.
Restart with a corner kick to the blue team as an own goal cannot be scored from a goalkick?
B.
Award the goal?
C.
Retake the goalkick?
D.
Restart with a dropped ball on the edge of the goal area?
Answer
A
Question 15:
The red team are attacking and you award them an indirect free-kick on the edge of the blue penalty area. The red kicker shoots for goal, and the blue number 3, standing on the goal-line punches the ball over the crossbar. What should you do?
A.
Restart with a corner kick to the red team?
B.
Show blue number 3 the red card, and send him off for denying the opposition a goal by handling the ball. Restart with a penalty kick?
C.
Award the red team a penalty kick?
D.
Award the red team an indirect free kick on the edge of the goal area, nearest to where the offence took place?
Answer
B

In my opinion:- (all page numbers refer to the 2013/2014 LOTG)

Question 1 - Correct

Question 2 - Wrong
If you read the interpretations and guidelines for the players' equipment on page 70, it states that
All items of jewellery (..) are strictly forbidden and must be removed. Using tape to cover jewellery is not acceptable.
With that in mind, the answer should be B.

Question 3 - Wrong
The throw has to be taken from the location where the ball left the field of play. Although no advantage has been gained, it still has not been taken from the same position that the ball left the field of play. I know that in practice this would probably not happen, but remember that the exam is based on the book.
With that in mind, the answer should be B.

Question 4 - Wrong
If you refer to page 41, Law 3 - Free Kicks, it states that
a free kick awarded in the goal area may be taken from any point inside that area
With that in mind, the answer should be D.

Question 5 - Correct

Question 6 - Correct

Question 7 - Wrong
The restart would be an indirect free kick with no sanction. Unless
the action is made with obvious risk of injury.
With that in mind, the answer should be A.

Question 8 - Correct

Question 9 - Correct

Question 10 - Correct

Question 11 - Correct

Question 12 - Correct

Question 13 - Correct (I think)

Question 14 - Wrong
Because the ball has only reached the penalty mark, it is not back in play. The ball is only back in play after a goal kick once the whole ball leave the penalty area. Thus meaning it would be a retake of the goal kick.
With that in mind, the answer should be C.

Question 15 - Wrong
Because a goal cannot be scored directly from an indirect free kick, the player cannot be guilty of 'Denying an Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity by Handball'. Therefore meaning the the restart would be a penalty.
With that in mind, the answer should be C.

If I have gone wrong anywhere, someone else should be able to point it out :)

Good luck in your exam!

Q15 - agree that it would be a PK, for Handball, not DOGSO, but wouldn't there be a yellow card in there?

If the ball wasn't heading into goal, and was crossed in, and the defender jumped and punches the ball away, PK and yellow card surely?No different if he is stood under the bar, deliberate and blatant handball - YC.

Worth a yellow card for being thick and not realising he should leave it alone and let it go in...lol.....

One piece of advice that stems from the above is that answer the exam with what the Laws of the Game, and the Interpretation and Guidelines say must happen, rather than what we'd all do on a wet Sunday January morning in the Upper Craphampton Reserves League for the sake of making everyone's life a little easier.

Look for the key words that give away the answer - block, reckless, kicked and moved, etc.

If in doubt, draw yourself a little diagram of the pitch and map where the ball is and think through it logically in stages. Is the ball in play? Where was the offence committed? What happened, in what order? Is there a more serious offence?

(Additionally, one thing I've always remembered from promotion and league interviews, usually the last line to any answer is "...and inform the league secretary." You can have that one for free for the future!) :D

AND GOOD LUCK!

rather than what we'd all do on a wet Sunday January morning in the Upper Craphampton Reserves League for the sake of making everyone's life a little easier.
This Upper Craphampton Reserves League sounds good mate, where can I get hold of the ref sec? ;)

Well just to update you all, your kind advice has paid off & I passed my Referee examination last night...............Just waiting to hear which league I've been assigned to do my 1st 6 games as part of Module 4 :cool:

Congratulations! Anything stump you on the exam?

Best of luck for the first one, keep us all informed! :)

Thanks Grayson. The exam was pretty OK actually, like you all advised, study LOTG & look out for the clues in the questions & you pretty much can't go wrong. That said however, x4 candidates had to be recalled to review their scores & have them boosted (clarify their understanding) & x2 candidates failed it so it shows that it's not just a token exercise (like some of the lower level coaching badges)

Back