Everybodys favourite martyr..

zarathustra

I have nothing against the laws being amended to allow referees to wear some form of body cam, I wouldn’t personally, but if others want to them they can crack on.

His work to highlight the abuse that is abundant in grass roots football was laudable, though I didn't agree with striking, and he did seem to turn into an attention whore towards the end.

However, to ask the FA for permission to wear a body cam, get denied and then wear one anyway and make a video saying you're going to wear one and that you know it's wrong is just stupid. and to then cry about just makes him look like a petulant child.

I see on faceache that he has resigned as a RefSupport ambassador and has accepted a charge from the FA for wearing the camera.

Apparently he resigned because he had "lead from the front enough", and that he was unable to take the campaign forward.

Reading between the lines I assume that The FA told him that if he wanted to go any further then he would need to choose between refereeing or being a puppet for RefSupport

what really put me off the camera campaign is that RefSupport, or someone associated with RefSupport were/are already working on making a camera, so if it became allowed then they could stand to make a tidy little profit from it

JamesL

I see on faceache that he has resigned as a RefSupport ambassador and has accepted a charge from the FA for wearing the camera.

Apparently he resigned because he had "lead from the front enough", and that he was unable to take the campaign forward.

Reading between the lines I assume that The FA told him that if he wanted to go any further then he would need to choose between refereeing or being a puppet for RefSupport
Think the damage is now done I am afraid.

PinnerPaul

Think the damage is now done I am afraid.
Made my views clear on this above, but surprised some are saying its the end of his (refereeing) career.

Both Mr Poll and, more recently, Mr Stroud made (in refereeing terms) catastrophic refereeing errors in law but were (after a period of time) allowed to continue refereeing.

Players break the law all the time but are allowed to resume playing after the punishment has been served.

However we feel about him and his actions, not sure we should be advocating he doesn't benefit from the normal rules of justice that we are all entitled to.

RustyRef

Staff member
Poll and Stroud made errors in law, they didn't deliberately defy the orders of the FA, and I would say those two things are a lot different.

Look at how long it took Clattenburg to get the FA Cup final, that wasn't down to any lack of ability and he was clearly one of the best referees we have ever had. But people that know him say he was anti-establishment, was far from a yes man, and had his disciplinary problems. Business debts and allegedly threatening a business partner, phoning Neil Warnock following a game in contravention of PGMOL rules, and travelling to the game on his own, again in contravention of rules. People like Neale Barry, and even more so David Elleray, who was a House Master at Harrow School, are old school and they don't like people stepping out of line or anyone showing signs of being rebels.

It almost certainly affected Clattenburg, and I would fear for Ryan Hampson that his card has been well and truly marked. And I can't help thinking that he only has himself to blame, although Ref Support UK should have a long, hard look at themselves in my opinion.

PinnerPaul

Poll and Stroud made errors in law, they didn't deliberately defy the orders of the FA, and I would say those two things are a lot different.

Look at how long it took Clattenburg to get the FA Cup final, that wasn't down to any lack of ability and he was clearly one of the best referees we have ever had. But people that know him say he was anti-establishment, was far from a yes man, and had his disciplinary problems. Business debts and allegedly threatening a business partner, phoning Neil Warnock following a game in contravention of PGMOL rules, and travelling to the game on his own, again in contravention of rules. People like Neale Barry, and even more so David Elleray, who was a House Master at Harrow School, are old school and they don't like people stepping out of line or anyone showing signs of being rebels.

It almost certainly affected Clattenburg, and I would fear for Ryan Hampson that his card has been well and truly marked. And I can't help thinking that he only has himself to blame, although Ref Support UK should have a long, hard look at themselves in my opinion.
Yes take your point with the Poll/Stroud comparison.

My point is still valid though - players get to play again after committing physical acts of violence or betting on matches they play in for example, but Ryan isn't allowed to referee again? I also understand how it might well effect his promotion prospects but AFTER serving any punishment, it IS against all precedents and law of the land to punish him further.

Just to reiterate I think wearing a camera completely unnecessary and to do so after being told not to, idiotic, but being an idiot doesn't equal life ban - plenty of idiots playing and some even refereeing! ;-)

JamesL

My point is still valid though - players get to play again after committing physical acts of violence or betting on matches they play in for example, but Ryan isn't allowed to referee again? I also understand how it might well effect his promotion prospects but AFTER serving any punishment, it IS against all precedents and law of the land to punish him further.

Just to reiterate I think wearing a camera completely unnecessary and to do so after being told not to, idiotic, but being an idiot doesn't equal life ban - plenty of idiots playing and some even refereeing! ;-)
What you say is absolutely valid.

But its much the way of normal life, whether that is right or wrong. Example, if you cause trouble at work for your employer, rhe chances arevyou wont get promoted. You may get to keep your job, you'll get a warning perhaps, but when promotions come along your employer is likely to come up with some other reasonnwhy you're not suitable at this time.

No one is saying Ryan can never referee again, but, it's a plausible theory that he might have done enough damage to hamper his progression.

Remember you have to be selected for promotion by the commitee. Even if you meet the criteria does not guarantee your place.

Thats all anyone is pointing out. Not saying it is right, but, its the way of the world.

RustyRef

Staff member

I'm absolutely not saying he can't referee any more, but rather his progression through the levels may well become more difficult than it would otherwise have been. No different to a corporate environment, if you defy your management at work and get hauled before HR, you can't then expect to be promoted several times over the next few years.

RustyRef

Staff member
He used to be a regional referee coach for the FA until the 2013 round of redundancies. And Janie Frampton was sacked by the FA for allegedly offering FA Cup semi-final tickets in return for flight upgrades for three female referees returning from the Dallas Cup, before later settling with them out of court (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jul/05/fa-settlement-referee-janie-frampton)

Fair to say they both have reasons to make trouble for the FA.