A&H

Ever had to bin a fellow official - what would you do?

At FT, if there's any talking to be done whilst leaving the FOP, only the Referee should communicate. Same applies to anyone who approaches the team (of officials) for an explanation (or row!) after the game. Unless the Referee calls upon a comment from an AR
(Indeed, despite 'team' inexperience, I'd add this to my pre-match instruction)

Just a dynamic of the game
In general I agree. But as an AR I have, in more than one occasion, stepped in when I see the referee is digging themselves a hole and I have been thanked for it. It is important though not to undermine the referee.

The Referee Store
In general I agree. But as an AR I have, in more than one occasion, stepped in when I see the referee is digging themselves a hole and I have been thanked for it. It is important though not to undermine the referee.

This is especially true when a more experienced ref is serving as an AR for a newer referee--how likely that is to happen depends a lot on local models. I frequently find myself in an AR/mentor role and would be quick to help back up my R in that context.

I've never had to bin an AR on a match, though I've seen some dire performances.

I have, however, been booked by a fellow official while I was a player.

Back