A&H

Eventful match today. @_@

RobOda

RefChat Addict
Level 3 Referee
Really eventful game in the final few today.

First half 1-1, rather quiet, a few sloppy challenges, but nothing warranting anything more than a quiet word.

Second half, away team get a corner, I see a push at the back post, penalty. Easy. Penalty gets saved, rebound saved. On we go.

82nd minute, I apparently miss a tackle by Away on home - I was on the diagonal and didn't really see a foul, just the challenge. Everyone was appealing, but we moved on, and the home team got the free kick eventually via another foul.

84th minute, freekick was wasted, away team counter, gain a corner. Corner comes in, shove straight in the back, in the middle, penalty number 2. Cue some rage directed my way. Penalty is scored 2-2.

Manager comes onto the pitch to remonstrate with me bemoaning I 'cost them the game' with my decisions. Fair enough, sent him off.

88th minute, home score 3-2.

90th minute, home breakaway, into the box, foul, penalty number 3. Scored 4-2. Blew the final whistle, wondered where the manager was. Wondered if he thought my decisions had resulted in their victory this time? He came in post-match and shook hands etc, once he had calmed down.

Realised something though, and this one bugged me because I think I got this bit wrong. I noticed Away team had changed the keeper with an outfield player. For some reason, I swore I read that if it happened during the half-time break, that we're to let it go and report it to the authorities. But on double-checking the good book, it seems I should have cautioned the keeper the moment I realised? Is that right?

Second game in a row where I've not been happy with my performance.

And to top it off, away team buggered off without paying me the match fee. - Reported that already mind. What a night. :cry:

The Referee Store
Realised something though, and this one bugged me because I think I got this bit wrong. I noticed Away team had changed the keeper with an outfield player. For some reason, I swore I read that if it happened during the half-time break, that we're to let it go and report it to the authorities. But on double-checking the good book, it seems I should have cautioned the keeper the moment I realised? Is that right?
If this happens during a break between periods of play without notifying the referee, no cautions, just report to the competition authority.

If it happens during play, then both get cautioned at the NEXT stoppage.

1525830930765.png
1525830963199.png

The referee must be informed regardless of ball in play or not, otherwise its a caution with some exceptions as above. Half time is one of those exceptions.

If this happens during a break between periods of play without notifying the referee, no cautions, just report to the competition authority.

If it happens during play, then both get cautioned at the NEXT stoppage.
I gather what you mean by "periods of play" is each half of normal or extra time (and not a period of play between stoppages).

Last edited:
Really eventful game in the final few today.

First half 1-1, rather quiet, a few sloppy challenges, but nothing warranting anything more than a quiet word.

Second half, away team get a corner, I see a push at the back post, penalty. Easy. Penalty gets saved, rebound saved. On we go.

82nd minute, I apparently miss a tackle by Away on home - I was on the diagonal and didn't really see a foul, just the challenge. Everyone was appealing, but we moved on, and the home team got the free kick eventually via another foul.

84th minute, freekick was wasted, away team counter, gain a corner. Corner comes in, shove straight in the back, in the middle, penalty number 2. Cue some rage directed my way. Penalty is scored 2-2.

Manager comes onto the pitch to remonstrate with me bemoaning I 'cost them the game' with my decisions. Fair enough, sent him off.

88th minute, home score 3-2.

90th minute, home breakaway, into the box, foul, penalty number 3. Scored 4-2. Blew the final whistle, wondered where the manager was. Wondered if he thought my decisions had resulted in their victory this time? He came in post-match and shook hands etc, once he had calmed down.

Second game in a row where I've not been happy with my performance.

And to top it off, away team buggered off without paying me the match fee. - Reported that already mind. What a night. :cry:

It’s only natural to criticise yourself after such an eventful end to a game, I don’t think there is a ref on the planet that wouldn’t pick holes at there performance after giving 3 pens and missing a so called bad challenge or whatever they were moaning about add to that the manager rant & you have the recipe for self doubt, you gave what you saw and that’s that, if that means there was 7 pens & 7 red cards then so be it, clear your mind it’ll be old news in a few days, don’t fall into the trap of “I gave loads of big decisions I must have had a bad game” you gave what you saw end of.

I’m glad the yellow for keeper swap has been covered because I thought it was a caution if swapped during half time without notifying ref.

And I like how they won 4-2 does the manager now want to congratulate you on your performance, I get it all the time I let a challenge go play continues ball gets pinged about a few times the agrreived team end up scoring, it makes me chuckle to myself “I feel like saying no goal lads let’s go back 30 seconds to the foul that you all moaned about”

Last of all match fee before kick off, school boy error..

I gather what you mean by "periods of play" is each half of normal or extra time (and not a period of play between stoppages).
Precisely. A "period of play" is the first half, second half, first half of extra time, or second half of extra time.

The referee must be informed regardless of ball in play or not, otherwise its a caution with some exceptions as above. Half time is one of those exceptions.

Fab, I knew I had read that somewhere. I was looking at Law 12 instead of 3.

I'll fire off another report to the League now.

And I like how they won 4-2 does the manager now want to congratulate you on your performance

To be very fair, he did pop in after the match and shook hands and said well done etc. I've met a fair share of managers that would have just blanked me for the rest of the post-match.

Back