A&H

EURO 2024 Final - Spain V England

Rare I've seen such a chalk and cheese two halves.
Was having non of the Spanish antics 1t half.
Refereed the 2nd like it was his first time in international football.

Doubt England had enough to get an equaliser, but by golly the ref made sure it was never in doubt.
Not really sure what you are seeing there, aside from the lack of added time I really cannot think of anything he got wrong in either half.

A&H International
Whilst we are on whistles and one hate the fox 40 and anyone use a acme tornado 2000
In stark contrast though I was impressed with Felix’s Fox 40 Mini on Wednesday night so ordered myself one.

Typically flit between Valkeen and Fox 40 Classic

Spain know how to subtlety pull back, at the top level that 0.1 second delay is all you need. Spain (and Bellingham) just fall over when touched.

Right team won they played to their strengths. England played not to lose.

Referee was really good tonight. Utterly confused at the apparent directive of not exceeding added time. The ball can’t have been in play for more than 1 1/2 minutes out of the 4

At the higher levels, additional time is automatically added for the following events - goals, red cards, penalties, injuries where the trainer comes onto the pitch and substitutions. Happy to be corrected but I don't think any of those things occurred. So as an England fan, the lack of additional time beyond the 4 mins deeply irritated me. As an official, I understood it, and I don't blame the referee for choosing to finish a game that he'd safely delivered before it had the possibility to turn to s**t with a big controversial decision in additional additional time ....

Not really sure what you are seeing there, aside from the lack of added time I really cannot think of anything he got wrong in either half.
The “foul” on Cucu by Saka at the end but honestly he was anonymous as a referee which is perfect imo

Referee was really good tonight. Utterly confused at the apparent directive of not exceeding added time. The ball can’t have been in play for more than 1 1/2 minutes out of the 4
I have just seen someone on another blog saying the ball was only in play for 58 seconds. I checked and it was true. He did have a decent game though other than that.

England were awful
I'm very surprised more hasn't been made of the fact Southgate reverted back to the pre-QF formation. The consequences of which had easily enough foresight to negate the need for today's hindsight

It was unanimously agreed before a ball was kicked that England had the best squad so I don't really buy the notion that Spain now occupy that space. Southgate stubbornly insisted on playing his biggest 11 names with a loss averse mentality whereas Spain had round pegs for round holes, particularly in terms of width and played with a good mentality. We had every chance last night, until it became immediately apparent Southgate had reshuffled to four at the back. Kane to England became more damaging than Ronaldo to Portugal.

Reactions: Kes
I honestly don't think we were awful last night. I think if you take quality of opposition in to account it was our second best performance of the tournament. It's just a shame that we only seem to play free flowing attacking football when we're behind. I didn't like the resorting to lumping it up field late on.

With regards to the stoppage time, as a fan it smarts a bit that the ball can be in play for so little of the 4 minute added and then the final whistle blown bang on 94, but I actually watched a 4th official guidance presentation on Friday night ahead of a good friendly 4th official match on Saturday and it advises to add on only for incidents which @Russell Jones said above, and none of them happened, so if we're not extending the game for them in normal time, why would we add on extra injury time.

With regards to Kane, he's been a great servant, but I'm not sure he fits in with the other very talented players in the team, so maybe it's time for him to move on now.

I came on here this morning for a report on the Stray Kids gig, but nothing so far😕
HA! I had to read all the match reports first;)

My girls had an amazing time. Best day of their lives. I loved it but BlackPink same venue last year was better (catchier tunes, great female singers). Unbelievable screaming last night, Beatles levels (for a shouty boy band).

There were a lot of England dads. At kick off I saw a few attempt to put ear buds in or try to watch on screens but they failed (screams!) and I didn’t bother and enjoyed the show.

They did about four encores, starting around 9:45 and I was wondering if they might do a big screen moment if there was good news - wrong crowd really. They mentioned the footy a couple of times but the show ended just at the final whistle and I learned the result from strangers. So no late night Buckingham Palace celebrations :(

Attachments

• 4BB74738-37EB-42B5-901D-08685D87AAD7.jpeg
    4BB74738-37EB-42B5-901D-08685D87AAD7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 2BBA1B8B-6360-457F-A091-975852FBD069.jpeg
    2BBA1B8B-6360-457F-A091-975852FBD069.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
OK, I'll temper awful with 'poor'
We were better in the QF and miles better in the Semi. I was quite taken aback (even accounting for Gareth's formbook) that he reverted back to the system which clearly didn't work. The players did their best, often looked jaded and had a lot of luck along the way
Pre-season training starts today!

At the higher levels, additional time is automatically added for the following events - goals, red cards, penalties, injuries where the trainer comes onto the pitch and substitutions. Happy to be corrected but I don't think any of those things occurred. So as an England fan, the lack of additional time beyond the 4 mins deeply irritated me. As an official, I understood it, and I don't blame the referee for choosing to finish a game that he'd safely delivered before it had the possibility to turn to s**t with a big controversial decision in additional additional time ....

I'm not going to cheat a team out of time they're entitled to to make my life easier.

That really highlights the problem more than anything else. Outside of the end game, that standard makes sense. But in the end game, which really focuses on added time, as that’s when players really know it is almost over, it encourages shenanigans that we don’t want in the game. R’s don’t want to caution for DR, so the incentive is for players to DR as much as possible. That means instead of having the spectacle of the final minutes, we have a slog through unpunished misbehavior. If players knew that time would be added on for their shenanigans in added time, then we wouldn’t see as much of it. They do it because we’ve made decisions about adding time that encourage misbehavior. I’m a purist who hates the. Idea of a stoped clock, but the success of this kind of behavior in stealing time at the end of the game makes me reconsider my perspective.

If you don't want to moan about time-wasting in the 90th minute, don't be a goal down in the 90th minute.

Kind of surprised to see the negative reactions about the Sonic Blast. I started using it last fall and really like it - particularly when I'm working in larger "stadiums" (for perspective, these are usually fields also used for high school or college American football that have 1,000 to 3,000 bleacher seats on each side with no seats behind the endlines). I'm like socal lurker in that I also use the "bent gumstick" Acme when I need a very different whistle tone in multi-field complexes.

But obviously this is a matter of personal preference . . .

Back