A&H

Equipment malfunction

The Referee Store
Well, the stick is much more expensive, not leaving that on the floor in Liverpool...

On a serious note, don't think it matters too much. These things happen, esp with comms kit at this level it doesn't make too much of a difference. As long as you can communicate the offside, does it matter?

Happened to me in a Ryman League game, went to flag and everyone behind me started laughing. No idea what had happened until the referee wandered over, at which point someone in the stand behind me shouted "Lino, you looking for this" as he waved my flag. A good laugh for all at my expense ... :)

What I couldn't believe last night though was that play was restarted whilst the problem persisted. The assistant was obviously flustered and missed an offside whilst he was minus his flag, and they really should have held up the game until it was properly fixed.

Given that the flag stick has the buzzer on it I would go with the stick if is happened to me. In fact even without the buzzer I think I would go stick. Just reinforces how important all the various forms of communicating are.

I would go with the cloth as signalling is a visual clue and the cloth is more visible than the stick for the referee (and others) to notice. Agree with a buzz flag the stick is important and will take it with my non flagging hand for buzzing. Also agree with Alex that its a trivial matter.

I was also surprised the game continued before the problem was sorted out. I am not sure I could blame missing the offside on it though. It was a very close offside and it would have likely been called the same without the flag issue.

Back