A&H

England v Scotland VAR penalty

The Referee Store
Could it be the height of the arm? To me, its unnaturally high and wide, so I called it correctly alongside the referee, but happy to be shown why I'm wrong.
I agree. Felt the arm made their body unnaturally bigger and was correctly a penalty.

I agree. Felt the arm made their body unnaturally bigger and was correctly a penalty.

I don't feel so bad now! Though judging by a quick Google, twitter doesn't seem to agree with us. Had the arm been lower, no pen, and in fairness, I missed it in real time, so probably wouldn't have given it if I wasn't sure the ball had touched the arm, but called it on the review.

Missed it totally in real time, very harsh decision, though with the law changes regarding handball I can see why it was given.

That is a handball offense under current standards. That is what IFAB wants. Whether that is good for the game can be debated. And whether the game is made better by that being called by VR is also debatable. But I think it is pretty clear thanIFAB/FIFA expecting that play to get an OFR and the R to award the PK.

well ross needs to stock a 4 refill pads instead of record of the game cards because if referees start awardinn penaltys kicks there will be 40 penalty kicks every game

Remember this game was being played under the new laws. Like it or not, that is a penalty now so you are all just going to have to get used to it, not to mention penalise such situations in your own games. I don't really agree with it, but that has to be a penalty now.

Nope, I understand that now they review everything

They check all potential PKs. They send down to the field for an OFR if the VAR believes there was a clear and obvious error in not awarding the PK. That means it should be unusual that an OFR does not result in a PK.

Many of us don't like some of the interpretations coming down. But under current interpretations, once it is determined the ball hit her arm, that was a clear and obvious PK according to how IFAB and FIFA interpret "deliberate" within the meaning of Law 12.

Back