A&H

Eng v Yanks

The Referee Store
@Peter Grove
Just out of interest... was it ever in Law that the benefit of doubt should go to the attacker?
I'm down the local and there's a few dozen who celebrated the goal. How naive 🤔

As it went in I suspected offside even after the female commentators words, it looked offside and ultimately was. Tough call in real time though at match speed.

The offside, I thought she might have been. Very close call and I think the AR would be very hard pressed to call that in real time.

Part (and it is just part) of the problem with var is the propaganda
The use of terms like c&o and 'maximum impact, minimum interference, actually work against fifa/ifab even when a decision needs a microscope. That said, i will always struggle with a forward kicking a defender in the process of shooting, yet it's the defender who is always at fault. Albeit in a different context, a player is entitled to their own space on the FOP

I said offside straight away, just gut instinct I guess. Certainly on first replay I was 100% sure it would be disallowed.

The penalty shows the problem with the reasonably new DOGSO law. That didn't deny a goal scoring opportunity, it denied a certain goal, there is no way she would miss from there. I get that it was an accident, but very difficult to say that there was a challenge for the ball there.

No argument at all on the second caution, possibly an argument to say straight red. Only criticism I would have is the referee had no idea she had already cautioned Bright as she showed the yellow and put it away, only to walk back over later. Given there had only been three cautions at that point it isn't as if she had a hard job of remembering who was on a caution, so that was pretty sloppy for a FIFA referee. Other than that I thought she had a good game.

Back