A&H

Encroachment v Handball

Jtpetherick1

So if we're looking at the LOTG we have to punish the most severe infringement if/when two occur at once.

My question is... We have an attacking free-kick not be taken by team A. After marking out the distance and (level-dependant) using spray, we blow and just as the free kick is being taken a player from within the wall runs forward with his arm out/up, the ball rebounds and causes a counter attack.

This is clearly both encroachment (retake/YC) and handball (DFK).

What would I do? The most severe offence is the handball based on the nature of the restart, and yet only the encroachment is expected to bring a YC - does that make it more severe? Alternatively, is the handball issue rendered void by the encroachment occurring - retake and a yellow?

Very hypothetical but this is where my mind goes of a Friday evening!

The Referee Store
You might want to start going to the pub Friday evenings.......sink a few.......do you good.....

The sinking of a few neither happens before or after <the encroachment which happens before the HB>
A rather sobering encroachment is the order of the day

The most severe offence is the handball based on the nature of the restart, and yet only the encroachment is expected to bring a YC - does that make it more severe?

If it's a shot/cross, couldn't you just justify it as interfering/stopping a promising attack anyway?

I'd caution for the handball depending on the distance for the free-kick, switching to encroachment the further away from goal we go. :p

Firstly, I can argue the OP is not offences at the same, encroachment happens first. Secondly even if at the same time, you punish the more serious offence, in terms of sanction, restart, physical severity and tactical impact, (in that order).

So in practice if I deem the handball was SPA or unsporting, then yellow and DFK for handball. Otherwise a yellow and retake for encroachment. As a footnote, if the handball was inside own PA, then I would consider it a yellow card offence meaning it is a yellow and a penalty.

Very simple: Encroachment comes first, but I wait a second to see if any advantage develops. A DFK for handball is a better advantage than IFK so I blow for the handball. I then give a YC for the encroachment (perfectly fair to caution for misconduct after playing advantage).

So if we're looking at the LOTG we have to punish the most severe infringement if/when two occur at once.

My question is... We have an attacking free-kick not be taken by team A. After marking out the distance and (level-dependant) using spray, we blow and just as the free kick is being taken a player from within the wall runs forward with his arm out/up, the ball rebounds and causes a counter attack.

This is clearly both encroachment (retake/YC) and handball (DFK).

What would I do? The most severe offence is the handball based on the nature of the restart, and yet only the encroachment is expected to bring a YC - does that make it more severe? Alternatively, is the handball issue rendered void by the encroachment occurring - retake and a yellow?

Very hypothetical but this is where my mind goes of a Friday evening!
You apply advantage from the original kick's encroachment, leading to the handball for which there is no advantage available.
Award the DFK for the handball, and give the caution for the encroachment.
The entire point of advantage is that players don't get away with the sanctions for committing an offence just because the opponent was lucky or skillful enough to make something out of it.

What encroachment? Handball only. I got myself in a mess once before by blowing for encroachment and the ball went into the goal.

I now wait. If it definitely impacts the kick (as it does in the hypothetical incident) penalise. Otherwise I’ll look to play advantage in case of a shot at goal or cross

Back