A&H

Encroachment. Mandatory caution?

Degnann

As incompetent as the last ref
Level 4 Referee
Just been observed for the first time.
Gave a retake of a pen for defensive encroachment.
my observer states this is a mandatory caution, which I wasn’t aware of. Closest I can see is the last point which mentions everything other than a penalty. (Technically fk in the box)
Curious to know peoples thoughts
8204B7C0-B333-4B94-9418-30CA0B79318A.jpeg

The Referee Store
Presume he means none goalkeeper encroachment which has never been a yellow card offence.

@Degnann do you usually pull this up or was it due to the observer being there?

Presume he means none goalkeeper encroachment which has never been a yellow card offence.

Honestly I’ve never had it happen to pull it up.
Waiting on the report coming in to see what the rest of it says but I did think he was incorrect.
so the last point on my screenshot doesn’t cover encroachment?

The observer is incorrect, simple as that.

Assuming it’s non GK offence, only required sanction is the retake of the kick assuming a goal we not scored.

The Law is simpler now in respect of the fact that an offence by the kicker is the only guaranteed caution these days. Indeed, with a warning for GK first offence, it's quite unlikely anyone else is gonna wind up in the book

If your observer puts this in writing as an error by you then you have grounds to appeal to the Observer co-ordinator for the report to be voided. Not something to do lightly but if the observation outcome will seriously impact your season .....

If your observer puts this in writing as an error by you then you have grounds to appeal to the Observer co-ordinator for the report to be voided. Not something to do lightly but if the observation outcome will seriously impact your season .....

Yeah, If he gives you a Standard Expected or above I'd leave it, otherwise I'd first point it out to the RDO.

I had an observer write in his report that I had allowed a substitution to take place while the ball was live, and incorrectly restarted play by throwing the ball to the GK.

What actually happened: I had stopped play for a serious injury while the GK had the ball in his hands. The injured player was substituted and I restarted the match with a drop goal in front of the GK.

Despite claiming to have witnessed me totally failing to get the laws correct he gave me a Standard Expected in every category so I didn't bother correcting it and it did me no harm.

Which has always, frankly, been patently absurd. All the pressure is on the GK and he’s the only one who gets cautioned for poor timing.

Got my report.

View attachment 5003
Did ask the trusted IFAB
View attachment 5004
That's really frustrating. Doesn't even take a Q to IFAB--this is pretty basic and should be readily known by every assessor. Only the kicker and GK face specific sanctions on a PK, so the only way encroachment can generally result in a caution to another players is for PO. (I suppose the encroachment could be coupled with other actions that rise to the level of USB, but the caution then would be for the other behavior.) My sympathies.

That's really frustrating. Doesn't even take a Q to IFAB--this is pretty basic and should be readily known by every assessor. Only the kicker and GK face specific sanctions on a PK, so the only way encroachment can generally result in a caution to another players is for PO. (I suppose the encroachment could be coupled with other actions that rise to the level of USB, but the caution then would be for the other behavior.) My sympathies.
I’ve emailed the head of my association to ask the process. Not fully sure in honesty, I don’t believe it works the same up here than it does down south so may not make a difference

Back