A&H

Dutch Referee Blog - Week 22 Laws of the Game Quiz 2020-2021

The Referee Store
Two issues with the answer given here. The video is not clear enough to be definitive on encroachment. Even if there was encroachment retake is the wrong answer. A goal was not scored from the penalty kick but from general play after continued so this would have to be a IFK if there was encroachment

I am fairly sure I have seen a Q and A from IFAB that you don't show red cards in the tunnel. You would only prevent them from playing and report it.

Edit: actually the LOTG state (the next dot point after the one quoted by the quiz) referee can only show red and yellow cards from the start of the match. So the answer is definitely wrong.

Last edited:
Two issues with the answer given here. The video is not clear enough to be definitive on encroachment. Even if there was encroachment retake is the wrong answer. A goal was not scored from the penalty kick but from general play after continued so this would have to be a IFK if there was encroachment

the end result is irrelevant - if both players encroach it’s a retake.

100% agree with @one on the first question. If the defender did not encroach, it's an IFK, as the PK did not score. But I thought it clear enough that both did that retake is still the correct answer on the play.

And I also thought there was the same guidance he referenced on the tunnel. The law provision says to prevent the players from taking part in the match. It doesn't say to show cards. (Though this is one of those "who cares" scenarios; whether you show cards in the tunnel really doesn't matter.)

100% agree with @one on the first question. If the defender did not encroach, it's an IFK, as the PK did not score. But I thought it clear enough that both did that retake is still the correct answer on the play.

And I also thought there was the same guidance he referenced on the tunnel. The law provision says to prevent the players from taking part in the match. It doesn't say to show cards. (Though this is one of those "who cares" scenarios; whether you show cards in the tunnel really doesn't matter.)

This is the moment the ball was kicked (second replay and body positions confirms it). Are we calling this clear encroachment by defenders?

1616592312491.png

Second question, Law 5: "has the power to show yellow or red cards and, where competition rules permit, temporarily dismiss a player, from entering the field of play at the start of the match until after the match has ended, including during the half-time interval, extra time and kicks from the penalty mark".
Its not just not saying show cards, it say show cards only ('only' being implied) after entering the field to start the game. And agree, in a real match "who cares". The outcome is the same. But for a lotg quiz, I care, it's a test for the knowledge of the laws of the game.

Last edited:
Back