A&H

Dutch Referee Blog - Week 20 Laws of the Game Quiz 2019-2020

The Referee Store
Q2. The dreaded "usually" from IFAB again. Just because something is usually the case, it doesn't mean it is always the case. If you go by IFAB circular then we have two correct answers, unless the question asks "which answer is usually correct?".

For example a careless tackle is usually a DFK but penalty kick is not an incorrect answer.

I hadn't see the circular--I love the circulars that contradict the Laws. Q2 is one of those deadly exam questions: the literal reading of Law 14 gives a different answer that what anyone would do on the field (consider the infraction trifling), and that real-world answer is now captured in the circular. One can hope that the these kinds of advice from the circulars will be added into the magic book so that they are well known, not known only to those who are super zealous about tracking Delphic comments.

The 'proper' call in Q2 is in the book. Calling a circular that nobody reads the 'proper' call is confusing. This is to be changed for the upcoming season though.

Great quiz Jan. I got two wrong. My ref last night had them wrong as well so we all learnt. Nice one:)

(First pre-season games with 2019 laws here)

Back