A&H

Dutch Referee Blog - Week 19 Laws of the Game Quiz 2020-2021

• Thread starter Jan ter Harmsel
  • Start date
The Referee Store
Spoiler alert:

I think Q4 isn't a straight red - but it's two yellows - one for entering the field of play, one for attempting to DOGSO....

@jan wrote in the quiz answer:

"The Laws of the Game 2020-2021 state that "all substituted players and substitutes are subject to the referee’s authority whether they play or not".

And about sending-offs the laws are clear that this only applies if the goal is actually denied. "A player, sent-off player, substitute or substituted player who enters the field of play without the required referee’s permission and interferes with play or an opponent and denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity is guilty of a sending-off offence."

In this case the goal has NOT been denied. Then this applies (page 109): "A substitute or substituted player is cautioned if guilty of: • entering or re-entering the field of play without the referee’s permission."

...Agree with the quote, however, I think both yellow card offences should be sanctioned here, no?

Spoiler alert:

I think Q4 isn't a straight red - but it's two yellows - one for entering the field of play, one for attempting to DOGSO....

@jan wrote in the quiz answer:

"The Laws of the Game 2020-2021 state that "all substituted players and substitutes are subject to the referee’s authority whether they play or not".

And about sending-offs the laws are clear that this only applies if the goal is actually denied. "A player, sent-off player, substitute or substituted player who enters the field of play without the required referee’s permission and interferes with play or an opponent and denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity is guilty of a sending-off offence."

In this case the goal has NOT been denied. Then this applies (page 109): "A substitute or substituted player is cautioned if guilty of: • entering or re-entering the field of play without the referee’s permission."

...Agree with the quote, however, I think both yellow card offences should be sanctioned here, no?

i went yellow but considered double yellowing as well which i think would be a punishment befitting the crime

I know this exact situation in one of IFAB's Q and A on Facebook or Twitter with the answer being yellow.

I think there is also a SPA situation (possibly in the lotg) that requires only one yellow.

Edit: had a look at the lotg, attempt to DOGSO or SPA is only mandatory caution for players not for substituted players. So a single yellow is easily justified. But you can give double yellow if you want to as USB in general applies to substituted players as well.

Last edited:
Back