A&H

Dutch Referee Blog - Week 19 Laws of the Game Quiz 2019-2020

• Thread starter Jan ter Harmsel
  • Start date
Week 19 Laws of the Game Quiz 2019-2020. Would love to hear your score. Also got some questions about seeing results of the quiz. After submitting the form, you get a confirmation page. On that page is a link which you can click to see your score. Good luck again! NB: you can always find […]

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
Can someone please interpret the last sentence for me that's in bold?

Am I reading this wrong? You can't be offside in your own half?

Laws of the Game 2019-2020 (page 99): "A player is in an offside position if: any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent." And (page 101): "If an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick where the offence occurred, including if it is in the player’s own half of the field of play."

Laws of the Game 2019-2020 (page 99): "A player is in an offside position if: any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent." And (page 101): "If an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick where the offence occurred, including if it is in the player’s own half of the field of play."
He received it in the opponents half..

I think it is badly worded, throwing it "to" someone is not the same as throwing it "at" someone.

Perhaps. But the only reason to stop play would be if the R considered it enough to be an offense, so that pretty much resolves the ambiguity.

You can't be in an offside position in your own half but you can commit an offside offense in your own half. e.g. a player is in an offside position at the moment a teammate last touches the ball then runs into his own half and plays the ball.

You can't be in an offside position in your own half but you can commit an offside offense in your own half. e.g. a player is in an offside position at the moment a teammate last touches the ball then runs into his own half and plays the ball.
I understand it now. Thank you! The wording had me confused.

5/5 :)

Q4 is actually a clever question making sure you are paying attention and can think outside of the box as well as inside (pun intended).

If anything Q3 is badly worded "A Tottenham player receives the ball on the opponent's half".
1. Did he receive it from a team mate?
2. More likely and common in a counter, he was in his own half when the pass was made but receives it on the opponent's half.

Screenshot_20200304-230910__01.jpg

Not only you guys didn't read the question carefully, you didn't pay attention to the big clue at the end either. Sorry for rubbing it in.... Ummmm not really :)

Back