A&H

Dutch Referee Blog - Week 18 Laws of the Game Quiz 2017-2018

The Referee Store
Well in #3 the question is poorly phrased. I read it as the second player pretends to pick the ball up trying to trick the opponents that the corner has not been taken. But the corner has been taken correctly. Hence, YC, IDFK at the place the second player commited the offence.

The question must mean something else because of the answer but I can't guess through the poor phrasing :(

I got it. The clue is in ball clearly moves. Therefore the requirements of law 17 have been met and play should continue. Great question imo as it makes you have to think has this corner been taken correctly. I deemed yes whoch lead me to the correct answers.
I did second guess myself at q5 but went through with it having re read the question again.

"This situation applies to questions 3, 4 and 5. A player from Team A is ready to take the corner kick. He touches the ball with his foot and it clearly moves. The ball does not leave the corner area."
That was clear to me - the corner kick is taken correctly.

"One of his teammates pretends to take the ball, but decides to dribble a few metres with the ball. After that he kicks swings the ball before the goal and a goal is scored. What disciplinary action does the referee have to take?"

This phrase "pretends to take the ball"... what does that mean - that's the poorly phrased part...? You "take" with your hands. So, I take that to mean the player has pretended to pick the ball up with their hands to deceive the opponents. This is why: YC, IDFK.

Now, if "pretends to take the ball" means something else... please fill me in...?

If the corner is taken properly... what offence has been committed by the player "pretending to take the ball" based on your interpretation of what that means.
It is not an offence to pretend to pick a ball up if thats what is meant by the statement so even still its a play on scenario based on the order of events.
I think that part of the question has been thrown in to tempt you into believing an offence has occurred.
However, it's still not written great in a grammatical sense.

Reactions: one
Where in the LotG does it say it is not an offence to try to trick your opponent into believing a corner has not been taken in order to gain an advantage and score a goal?

I have YC for USB under "shows a lack of respect for the game" :)

Where in the LotG does it say it is not an offence to try to trick your opponent into believing a corner has not been taken in order to gain an advantage and score a goal?
I think you have that logic wrong santa :) . The lotg lists ALL the offences not the other way around. In some cases it lists non-offences for clarifications. For example it doesn't say rabona is not an offence and we know it is not. Anything not listed in lotg as an offence is not and offence. Of course somethings are left to the referees opinion.

I have YC for USB under "shows a lack of respect for the game" :)
this is a matter of opinion but I and most other referees would not consider it USB give that lotg clarifies "Feinting to take a free kick to confuse opponents is permitted as part of football." I don't see a corner being any different.

I think you have that logic wrong santa :) . The lotg lists ALL the offences not the other way around. In some cases it lists non-offences for clarifications. For example it doesn't say rabona is not an offence and we know it is not. Anything not listed in lotg as an offence is not and offence. Of course somethings are left to the referees opinion.

this is a matter of opinion but I and most other referees would not consider it USB give that lotg clarifies "Feinting to take a free kick to confuse opponents is permitted as part of football." I don't see a corner being any different.
It's not feinting to take a free kick. It's trying to trick opponents into believing the ball is not in play when it is.

The is similar to the old "player touches corner ball and walks away, leaving team-mate to briefly pretend the ball isn't in play, but then dribbles the ball." My understanding was that this scenario (that quite a few people asked about on this forum) caused a lot of discussion. My understanding is that it was USB/YC - and that the laws were clarified "kicked and clearly moves" to clear it up.

What is different in this case is a player attempting to deceive opponents by pretending to pick the ball up. And that's not feigning to to take a kick as I understand it.

It's not feinting to take a free kick. It's trying to trick opponents into believing the ball is not in play when it is.
And the purpose of feinting to take a free kick is to try to trick the opponent into believing the ball has been kicked or is being kicked in a certain way when it hasn't. The aim of both actions is deceiving the opponent. The law clearly says one is not USB. If the other is USB comes down to the opinion of the referee and as I mentioned IMO and I think most other referees the OP scenario is not USB.

The is similar to the old "player touches corner ball and walks away, leaving team-mate to briefly pretend the ball isn't in play, but then dribbles the ball." My understanding was that this scenario (that quite a few people asked about on this forum) caused a lot of discussion. My understanding is that it was USB/YC - and that the laws were clarified "kicked and clearly moves" to clear it up.
And that is why the word in the 15/16 change, "clearly" was added to "clearly moves" to make it easier for the defenders (and referees) to know when the ball is in play. If the ball has clearly moved by an opponent's foot after being placed in corner area and the defenders are still 'tricked' into believing the ball is not in play, then my opinion is they should smarten up.

Selective quoting there - you could have quoted one of the other times when I also included about pretending go "pick it up".

Can you call the IFers and ask if feigning with the hands like this is USB?

Back