A&H

Dutch Referee Blog - Indirect free kick and why you need to raise your arm

The indirect free kick is an important part of football, but not raising your arm can cause serious problems. In the Euro U 19 game between Portugal and the Czech Republic the referee forgets to raise his arm. Usually no big deal, but it is when a team scores directly. An interesting case study. It’s the […]

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
I imagine he got an absolute bollocking from the assessor that day, being wrong in law twice over.

I've had a similar incident happen in the past, but I had my arm up. Both teams half-celebrated and despaired, but they all saw my signal and it quickly dawned on them it was indirect and so we got going again without any issues.

I’ve refereed 5 games & haven’t had a single indirect free kick for anything other than offside..

I’m wondering what the restart is if sum1 scores directly from an indirect free kick but i haven’t had a single indirect free kick yet..

Interesting that I haven’t had one yet.

I’ve refereed 5 games & haven’t had a single indirect free kick for anything other than offside..

I’m wondering what the restart is if sum1 scores directly from an indirect free kick but i haven’t had a single indirect free kick yet..

Interesting that I haven’t had one yet.

From the great book itself:

1519728670221.png

From the great book itself:

View attachment 1734

Cheers I’m not lazy honest it just sinks in better when I discuss things in a thread rather than read the book for hours on end the terminology used in lotg make me zone out sum times, I know you’ve only posted the law but it sinks in better when I read on here.

Cheers I’m not lazy honest it just sinks in better when I discuss things in a thread rather than read the book for hours on end the terminology used in lotg make me zone out sum times, I know you’ve only posted the law but it sinks in better when I read on here.

M8 I personally would never judge a fellow MIB, and I know many others won't. I can understand where you are coming from with regards to reading the laws, unfortunately there is no way around it. You have to read them and learn them and constantly keep up to date on them. Use Jan's blog weekly quiz as an interesting way to brush up on the rules as it puts in a game context. Likewise use the arereferee website which has an abundance of quizzes and tests.

and the reason I quoted the law directly to show you the exact wording and show you other potential scenarios with the IDFK! (that and I was lazy to just type it all as well :p:p)

M8 I personally would never judge a fellow MIB, and I know many others won't. I can understand where you are coming from with regards to reading the laws, unfortunately there is no way around it. You have to read them and learn them and constantly keep up to date on them. Use Jan's blog weekly quiz as an interesting way to brush up on the rules as it puts in a game context. Likewise use the arereferee website which has an abundance of quizzes and tests.

Will do m8, I have nightmares when I got to sleep thinking about how much of a tw*t I’ll look on the pitch one day if I don’t know the correct restart In a game.

I can totally understand, I had one such moment 2 seasons ago. My brain froze, and it was one of those things that you thing there is no way this is happening in my game and I was being observed on the day as well :cry::cry:.

So ball gets passed to the keeper, he picks it up in the goal area i correctly signal for an IDFK (no issues there). I correctly have all the defending team standing on the goal line (still no problem) but i bizzarely forgot to pull the ball back to be on the boundary of the goal area as the laws state! (I instantly knew sth was wrong but for the life of me couldn't figure it out) after the game ended and before i spoke to the observer it hit me!!

again from the great book itself:

1519730139144.png

@Men in Black, The way I make reading the lotg more interesting is to try and answer other ppl's law questions (or sometimes my own). Take this thread for example, @Nalbi managed to partially read two laws trying to find answers to your questions :)

Ok this is a big question from me if anyone would care to help?

Free kick & the whistle, so basically you give a free kick for a foul inside a teams own half, you’ve blown for the foul fair enough everyone is aware of your decision, the team proceeds to take the free kick as it’s miles away from the goal they’re attacking you don’t blow for them to take it they just take it.

You give a free kick edge of the box you’ve blown for it, without fail I say to the kicker on my whistle I get a wall sorted out or I’ll take up my position etc then I’ll blow, for the first time since my 5 games started I had a player say quick kick pls ref I said yes go ahead and he played a short pass to a team mate..

Now my question is.. what’s our prerogative regarding letting sum1 take a free kick and when to use the whistle, what if the guy had of taken the quick free kick & scores I’d prob of disallowed it.

Have I explained it properly basically how does blowing for a free kick to be taken work? And how does it differ depending on circumstance?

Ok this is a big question from me if anyone would care to help?

Free kick & the whistle, so basically you give a free kick for a foul inside a teams own half, you’ve blown for the foul fair enough everyone is aware of your decision, the team proceeds to take the free kick as it’s miles away from the goal they’re attacking you don’t blow for them to take it they just take it.

You give a free kick edge of the box you’ve blown for it, without fail I say to the kicker on my whistle I get a wall sorted out or I’ll take up my position etc then I’ll blow, for the first time since my 5 games started I had a player say quick kick pls ref I said yes go ahead and he played a short pass to a team mate..

Now my question is.. what’s our prerogative regarding letting sum1 take a free kick and when to use the whistle, what if the guy had of taken the quick free kick & scores I’d prob of disallowed it.

Have I explained it properly basically how does blowing for a free kick to be taken work? And how does it differ depending on circumstance?
We've had previous threads on the topic of "quick" FKs around the penalty area. And judging from those, you're unlikely to get a consistent view from the folks on here!

That said, for what it's worth, generally speaking, you're probably asking for trouble if, once you are the spot of the FK near the area, you allow a quick one. By that point, rightly or wrongly, the defensive team are expecting you to manage the situation and that it will be "on the whistle" (though be aware, that's when YOU are ready, not necessarily when the GK is ready!). If, however, the attacking side take the FK before you get there then IMO you should absolutely allow it ... they are the ones who have been offended against and the defensive team have no god given rights to having a wall etc .....

As far as I can see, it's their right to take the freekick quickly or not. (Law 13.3) - If anyone isn't respecting the distance, you play the advantage if possible, and if anyone tries to prevent a freekick being taken quickly (i.e. standing by the ball) they're to be cautioned, and yet if it gets intercepted by someone dallying around, tough luck. (I don't like the wording of 13.3 it almost contradicts itself to be honest...)

Having said that, most referees I know do it your way and require anything around the penalty area to be restarted via the whistle, for less aggro occurring in the situation you describe.

For me, I let them take it how they want, however, the moment I've started to set up that wall, tough luck it's going by my whistle.

Pages 188-189 of the LOTG cover the use of the whistle by the way. :)

And judging from those, you're unlikely to get a consistent view from the folks on here!

Doesn't surprise me, I don't think any agrees on this one at any level of the game. I just saw a video from China, where a freekick was awarded and the lad put the ball down, took it quickly and they slotted it in. The goalkeeper had gone to get a drink by the side of the goal, and most of the defending team were surrounding the ref whining. The ref gave the goal... Brave. I'd be bricking the reaction from the players if I gave that one.

Try this next time.

You blow for a foul near the top of the penalty area. Move towards the spot of the foul (a few yards from the ball) and observe. 98% of the time, the attacker will look at you and ask for 10. Then you say "on the whistle" and back up the wall.

If they don't ask, give them a few seconds to see if they want to play it quickly. Don't say anything to distract the defenders or give them the perception that this free kick is ceremonial. If it then becomes obvious that the attackers have no interest in a quick free kick and you need to set the wall, then you step in, make the kick ceremonial, and back up the wall to 10 yards.

Good advice from everyone thanks, I feel like I’ve learnt a lot since Sunday.

I’m coming to the conclusion that as a referee you can interpret the law and manipulate the law any which way you like it’s quite interesting, I thought it would be so black or white but it really isn’t, there is so many interpretations of any given incident there is a number of ways you can go with your decision.

Back