A&H

Dutch Referee Blog - How Premier League referees prepare for the season

Premier League referees prepare thoroughly for the season. “Players become better, so we have to do the same”, says Michael Oliver on the Premier League website. And every referee wants the best games in the league. “This means I have to keep my standards high as well”, says Martin Atkinson. Preparation of Premier League referees […]

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
Interesting the EPL refs cover 11km per game on average. As i might cover 10km on a County Pitch and can sprint faster than some players, it begs the question why the fitness tests equate to running 12 minutes at 7 minute mile pace (or thereabouts). I'd find the test much more difficult than the demands of a game. I think the answer is, 'we need to strip fitter than necessary to avoid reaching the point of fatigue, as this definitely causes mistakes to creep in'

Apparently at grassroots I'm hitting 8km on a good day if I check my stats from last season... :meh:

I do find the fitness test tougher than the demands of the game, but then I don't think I've ever had a game where I've had to run at decent speed for 12 solid minutes. There's always a lull and a variation of pace in football where recovery can happen - and always one team that will tire earlier causing space to open up and thereby, less movement ends up being required on your part.

About the toughest game I had last season was also 8km, but had a lot of side-to-side running rather than up and down the pitch. Think tiki-taka! That game was really tough and was the closest I've ever come to non-stop running - and that match was honestly a completely mis-match, plus... If I had assistants I don't think I would have run at all(!)

Apparently at grassroots I'm hitting 8km on a good day if I check my stats from last season... :meh:

I do find the fitness test tougher than the demands of the game, but then I don't think I've ever had a game where I've had to run at decent speed for 12 solid minutes. There's always a lull and a variation of pace in football where recovery can happen - and always one team that will tire earlier causing space to open up and thereby, less movement ends up being required on your part.

About the toughest game I had last season was also 8km, but had a lot of side-to-side running rather than up and down the pitch. Think tiki-taka! That game was really tough and was the closest I've ever come to non-stop running - and that match was honestly a completely mis-match, plus... If I had assistants I don't think I would have run at all(!)
Some GPS watches aint much good for footy. I'm sure you're doing more than 8k in an OA game, but most GPS lack the precision needed for shuffling

Some GPS watches aint much good for footy. I'm sure you're doing more than 8k in an OA game, but most GPS lack the precision needed for shuffling

That's true.

Still wouldn't give it up though, just observing the H/R and distances has been a enjoyable process for me. :)

Back