A&H

Dutch Referee Blog - Dissent by action (case study)

Dissent by action. A player applauds after you show him a yellow card. What do you decide? Will you certainly show the second yellow card? Will you give a stern warning, because he’s already on a yellow? Or will you probably ignore him? Jean-Paul Boëtius receives a yellow card by referee Pol van Boekel, but […]

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
Great to see the referee take that sort of action - the game needs more of it. Instead, too often at the top levels referees are made to hold back to keep the stars on the pitch.
I remember being in our annual referee's seminar a few years back, and some referees from our national top tier comp were in the meeting, with the national referees director giving a talk. Cracking down on dissent! He said, like we hadn't heard it all before. All the visual dissent, the arm flailing in hysterics while arguing, all that would be a mandatory card. Well.....was interesting that what got preached publicly didn't seem to translate to what happened on the field. Always made me wonder what the assessors were getting told.....
But yes, visual dissent is a problem. Everyone can see visual dissent. One thing I hate is the pointing to the eyes in the 'have a look!' manner. Automatic card from me.
Although, it's a shame that the sport isn't tough on the most visual sign of dissent of them all - running up to the referee to argue!!
i've delighted in the '3 card trick' when a player has clapped the first card before. But admittedly I've also ignored a player clapping my AR because the game was getting out of control and I didn't want to take the action that I knew I should have, but could get away with not doing.

Never seen it happen myself.

I did see one referee the other week caution a player for applauding in the face of an opposition when he won a foul. Spot on that.

Back