A&H

Dropped ball kick back to keeper

Zimmyman

Me again !! 1) Right player goes down injured blue player ! Red has ball in play what is procedure just a dropped ball !
2) the same thing happens but I don’t see who had the ball when I stopped play again what is procedure ?
3) red kicks ball out of play as blue injury
So blue get throw ! Is it then back to blue who kick back to red keeper I have lots of brain freeze with this any advice

The Referee Store
1. drop ball
2.drop ball
3. Throw in
You can not manage a drop ball but most times at grass roots level they will manage it themselves, and you can suggest what happens, but if a player agrees and then does something different then you have to deal with that.

1. And 2. You only stop play if you consider injury serious. Doesn't matter who has the ball. To restart, you drop the ball where it was when play was stopped. Let the players decide what to do with the ball. You don't tell them what to do (I don't recommend even suggesting). If you want you can ask them their intentions to be prepared.

3. Throw in to blue. Again the players decide what to do with the ball after that. You just referee the game and stop for any offences.

Me again !! 1) Right player goes down injured blue player ! Red has ball in play what is procedure just a dropped ball !
2) the same thing happens but I don’t see who had the ball when I stopped play again what is procedure ?
3) red kicks ball out of play as blue injury
So blue get throw ! Is it then back to blue who kick back to red keeper I have lots of brain freeze with this any advice
Not wishing to be unkind, but uncertainty regarding basic Laws will cause your games to go south of Antarctica
Reading the book can be a chore, but self-preservation is riding on it. Do as many quizzes as poss, make notes, go through all of the LOTG threads on here, but don't get found out in the middle because even 12 year old's will pull you apart

With due consideration to the level you are reffing at, and of course we are not doctors (unless of course you are a doctor), so my serious could differ from your serious which could differ from the players serious!
I be honest, am guilty of erring on safe side maybe too much, esp when ball in a dead area, am just like, no chances, stop play.

Not wishing to be unkind, but uncertainty regarding basic Laws will cause your games to go south of Antarctica
Reading the book can be a chore, but self-preservation is riding on it. Do as many quizzes as poss, make notes, go through all of the LOTG threads on here, but don't get found out in the middle because even 12 year old's will pull you apart

Not helpful at big cat !! I’m not stupid it was a valid question I’m sure thst kicking it back to the keeper is not even in the laws everyone else thank you

1. And 2. You only stop play if you consider injury serious. Doesn't matter who has the ball. To restart, you drop the ball where it was when play was stopped. Let the players decide what to do with the ball. You don't tell them what to do (I don't recommend even suggesting). If you want you can ask them their intentions to be prepared.

3. Throw in to blue. Again the players decide what to do with the ball after that. You just referee the game and stop for any offences.

Happened to me at the start of this season and I wrote about it on here for advice. Player said he would kick it back to the keeper as i stopped the game for an injury. Everyone heard it so I dropped the ball and he passed it towards the keeper. His team mate ran onto the ball despite him knowing what he was doing and his manager and team mates shouting st him to stop "being a ****), he rounded the keeper and scored. I couldn't take any action as it wasn't even close to offside and had to award the goal. Queue a very tense situation and me having to calm down the manager and several players. Fortunately the manager who's player scored the goal subbed him straight away and told him what a **** he was and told him to get in his car and leave which he did.

Once that's happened you're completely prepared for every drop ball after and I won't let it happen again. Making mistakes is what you learn from the most.

Not helpful at big cat !! I’m not stupid it was a valid question I’m sure thst kicking it back to the keeper is not even in the laws everyone else thank you
No need to go back at @Big Cat he was only saying maybe you need to brush on law as those questions (while some may not know) are pretty basic compared to other duties of the referee. In fact @Big Cat has been of real help to me In the past. As always enjoy your games and next time you have a stoppage for injury you know what to do

As @JoeMaloney5 indicated, you're better off getting a bit of jip from me than copping it from players and coaches
The footballing hyenas will have you for dinner if you show uncertainty in Law
I thought i knew the rules when i started out, but I quickly realised i was wrong. I still wouldn't challenge some of the Lawyers on the forum because my knowledge is incomplete. My advice, is to really get serious about the book to avoid bad experiences

Back to the OP;
Dropped Ball is the go-to restart when there's no infringement of Law
Just think of a dropped ball (once it has made contact with the ground) as an IDFK, with one caveat: The player can run with this IDFK and it only stops being an IDFK, when another player makes contact with the ball
The GK cannot handle any ball intentionally kicked to him/her by a teammate, including FKs (and throw-ins)
Being an IDFK, the dropped ball (and the player running off with it), cannot be scored in either goal
You can't tell the players how the dropped ball should be contested (but you can if you know what you're doing ;))
Missed anything??

It is very easy to orchestrate a drop ball without orchestrating it !!

my recent unusual issues with drop ball is twice this season, say half way line, , defender has knocked it back to the gk, only for gk to pick it up! Never seen that before, now had it twice in same season. I be honest, first time, I was not proactive, no way would I have been ready for that, (first time it was direct from the kick by defender) and second time, gk dallied about with ball at feet, had options to play short both wides, so again, I never thought anything of it until he lifted it.

If I can be even more honest, for me who likes credible calls, I cant recall shouts from opponents either time, so, am not saying I would have, but, its entirely possible I could have "got away" with either/both and not awarded it, so, I do feel a bit of understanding for anyone who would have....however, I gave both and yes, one was scored...and oddly again, there was not any protest from the conceding team this time, they turned on the gk for picking it up in the first place, although am well aware in a different game it would have been daggers for me....

If a player says he's knocking it back from a dropped ball make it very clear that everyone knows what he's said, it will help manage any shenanigans.

While discussions over the 'managed' dropped ball are quite common on here, I don't think I've seen anyone asking about what to do on a throw-in before. There's no such thing as a 'managed' throw-in. Even if it was put out because of an injury, it's still just a plain, straightforward throw-in with absolutely no reason for the referee to get involved.

There is obviously a bit more debate over what should happen with a dropped ball - it has been a frequent topic of discussion on here and it even came up for discussion at the IFAB AGM in 2008, with the FA proposing an amendment that would have made it mandatory for the ball to be given back to the goalkeeper of the team in possession of the ball if the referee stopped play for an injury. Even with that proposed change though, it was still specified that if one team put the ball out of play for a throw-in because of an injury, the throw-in would proceed as normal. The amendment was not adopted, obviously.
IMG_20190201_172040.png

While discussions over the 'managed' dropped ball are quite common on here, I don't think I've seen anyone asking about what to do on a throw-in before. There's no such thing as a 'managed' throw-in. Even if it was put out because of an injury, it's still just a plain, straightforward throw-in with absolutely no reason for the referee to get involved.
Thank you but youngsters looking at the premier league on the telly will see if a ball is kicked out through injury that the throw goes straight back to the opposing team where is that a normal throw in ??

There is obviously a bit more debate over what should happen with a dropped ball - it has been a frequent topic of discussion on here and it even came up for discussion at the IFAB AGM in 2008, with the FA proposing an amendment that would have made it mandatory for the ball to be given back to the goalkeeper of the team in possession of the ball if the referee stopped play for an injury. Even with that proposed change though, it was still specified that if one team put the ball out of play for a throw-in because of an injury, the throw-in would proceed as normal. The amendment was not adopted, obviously.
View attachment 3001

The laws are quite specific on these situations, so take the advice that knowing the laws well, helps you manage game situations. In this case check law 8 around dropped balls and note:

"Any number of players may contest a dropped ball (including the goalkeepers); the referee cannot decide who may contest a dropped ball or its outcome."

Read the laws a few times. Take a quiz daily at http://areferee.com . Doing these things will help you managing odd situation's that will happen in your career, and only help you maintain the most important thing - match control.

Whoever was in possession when you blow the whistle is irrelevant. We as referees don’t decide who’s kicking it back to who for the drop ball, that’s down the players. They’ll tend to do the right thing anyway but if they want to contest it then they can

View attachment 3001
Surprised it hasn’t been added if I’m honest. On the flip side I’ve had it in the past where a player has kicked the ball out for an ‘injury’ to a team mate who’s potentially exaggerating, only for the other team to realise that and start arguing that it was a misplaced pass and not him kicking it out intentionally

Thank you but youngsters looking at the premier league on the telly will see if a ball is kicked out through injury that the throw goes straight back to the opposing team where is that a normal throw in ??
We're talking about what action (if any) the referee should take when the ball had been put out for a throw-in because of injury. The referee should take absolutely no action on such a throw-in - they should leave it entirely up to the players and not get involved in any way. So as far as referee involvement goes, it's a normal throw-in. Or as that proposed FA amendment put it, "Play restarts with a throw-in as normal."

This is different, in terms of referee involvement, to a dropped ball where the referee is of necessity, involved with the process from the outset.

Last edited:
If you don't know the correct restart of play you need to go and brush up on the laws of the game.

You cannot dictate what happens at a dropped ball, and you cannot tell a team to throw the ball back to the opposition keeper etc.

While players may not know that a referee can't manage a dropped ball, they will know if the restart is wrong, and it will damage your match control.

Last edited:
Back