A&H

Drop ball?

cdsman

In my game at the weekend, I was hit by the ball (I know - get out of the way!) which then went directly out of play for a throw in.
I (eventually) awarded a drop ball to the team who had been in possession, as my thinking was that if the other team were awarded the throw - possession would have changed teams following the ball touching me. Is this correct, as it's not specifically stated in Law 9 (that I can see...)?

Thanks....

The Referee Store
Law is very specific. You only restart with a dropped ball if the ball stays in play after touching you. Correct restart would have been a throw in.

See the words "remains on the field of play" in third point

Screenshot_20220322-223327.jpg

Law is very specific. You only restart with a dropped ball if the ball stays in play after touching you. Correct restart would have been a throw in.

See the words "remains on the field of play" in third point

View attachment 5532
Thanks One....

I've read and re-read that and understand what you're saying.....

However, how can the ball 'remain on the field of play' and 'go directly into the goal'? If the ball goes into the goal, it's out of play... and then, by the same logic, if the ball goes out for a throw or GK / CK it's the same as going directly into the goal? No?

Thanks One....

However, how can the ball 'remain on the field of play' and 'go directly into the goal'? If the ball goes into the goal, it's out of play... and then, by the same logic, if the ball goes out for a throw or GK / CK it's the same as going directly into the goal? No?

The referee can no longer ' score"

used to be able too, not now. Its drastically unfair

Thanks One....

That's just poor wording on behalf of ifab. It has been pointed out and discussed on this forum before. Otherwise that whole section wouldn't make sense. Why else would they have the words "remains on the field of play" there?

Thanks One....

It's pretty straight forward to be honest.

Even if the ball does end up going into the goal, (and is then out of play) it's still effectively in play after it's touched you (even if just for a millisecond and you as the referee happen to be stood on the goal line :rolleyes: ). The same logic applies on the touch line. ;):)

It's pretty straight forward to be honest.

Even if the ball does end up going into the goal, (and is then out of play) it's still effectively in play after it's touched you (even if just for a millisecond and you as the referee happen to be stood on the goal line :rolleyes: ). The same logic applies on the touch line. ;):)
except if the ball goes in the goal, it's a dropped ball...
if the ball goes over the touch line, it's a throw in... :rolleyes:

Yes but that restart difference makes sense. :)

My response was to the "ball remains in play" issue. ;)

Happy to admit this would have caught me out so glad it was brought up. I’d have restarted with a dropped ball

Yea I’ve learned a thing!
Would have been a drop ball in my game prior to today! 😂

This is not the only place where ifab don't write what they mean, or they don't mean what they write (Kind of like some lotg quizzes 😉). You just have to look at what they were thinking when they wrote it. Which in the case is, normal restart if the ball goes out of play after touching you, unless a goal is scored in which case it's a dropped ball.

Sure we've all been there on the edge of the box when the ball just drops perfectly and you think "I could smash this into the top corner

It’s crossed my mind many times, but let’s just say that the skill level doesn’t match the thought process. I’d imagine an undignified walk to the car park to retrieve the ball! :oops:

Last edited:
Sure we've all been there on the edge of the box when the ball just drops perfectly and you think "I could smash this into the top corner".

Before the change to short goal kicks, I always found no matter where I stood for the punt goal kick, it would be targetted straight to my head.

Back