A&H

Drinks Breaks

Would you allow a drink break in heat ?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Callum Aris

Level 7 Referee
Just got me wondering after hearing about drinks breaks in Premier League when it hits 30 Celsius, if in the rare case it ever goes 30+ again in Britain during a match you are refereeing would you ever stop the match for a drinks break??? Just wondering what peoples opinions are.

The Referee Store
Absolutely! Why wouldn't you? If it's good enough for the World Cup & Premier League, it's fine by me.

Been plenty of occasions where my throat has been drier than the Sahara just 5/10 minutes into a match, regardless of the temperature.

Did an under 11s pre-season friendly a couple of years ago. Morning kick off, clear blue skies and ended up probably being the hottest day of the year. Had a pre-match chat with both managers and we all agreed to split to the match into 15 minutes quarters. I was probably more grateful for the break than the kids!

Stopped after 31 minutes today for a drinks break. Didn't need one in the second half as a cool breeze took the edge off the heat. Dehydration is not a good thing.

Over here in Canada, it's mandated at certain temperatures. In the US at the high level games, they have some sort of weird pressure thermometer. When that hits a certain amount, they must have a water break in that half of play. They do a test an hour pre-game, one at kickoff, and one at half-time.

I wish we would have had a drinks break on Saturday, it was a good 24-28 degrees on the line. I've got a right sun tan today!

I did this at the weekend. I had no instruction from league/FA, and no request from either team - the ball went out of play and into an adjacent field in the 33rd minute, seemed like a good point to get the players to take on some fluid.

They all seemed to appreciate it, good for managing the relationship and most importantly, prevented any health issues. It was 31 degrees at pitchside according to someone there, so I am glad I did it. When I saw it on the TV that night in the PL highlights, I was feeling very smug.

I see the vote is now:
  • Yes = 24
  • No = 0
I planned for drinks breaks pre-match - everyone wanted it - so we did it - twice ... the game was on a 3G pitch - anyone with a scientific bent able to confirm that 3G pitches radiate more heat than grass pitches !?!?

A thermometer used last summer here in Canada at a few games I did showed that the temperature at midfield was about 2-3C higher than it was on the benches.

I don't know why that's the case, but best guess would be the black rubber absorbing extra heat from the sun

anyone with a scientific bent able to confirm that 3G pitches radiate more heat than grass pitches !?!?

I imagine it's to do with the synthetic materials used on the pitches reflecting the heat more than "proper" grass would.

You get a similar effect on large patches of tarmac as well.

It's actually the friction between the materials (tiny rubber or cork pellets) and the effect of running on them. Many clubs in Spain counter this by watering their 3G facilities before play to keep the temperature down and avoid blistered feet.

Interesting, I'd never thought of it like that.

I know hockey 3G pitches now use water instead of the sand/rubber/cork back fill used for other sports.

Over here in Canada, it's mandated at certain temperatures. In the US at the high level games, they have some sort of weird pressure thermometer. When that hits a certain amount, they must have a water break in that half of play. They do a test an hour pre-game, one at kickoff, and one at half-time.
Is it to measure wetbulb globe temperature?

The armed forces use that when deciding if it's too hot for certain types of PT

We do it in Australia at times, even in professional games. Discuss it with the players first so they know to expect it. Let them know it will be around, say, 25minutes (don't do it if you can see they're looking for a quick throw-in or anything like that). Players stay on, subs stay off, drinks at the sideline. Let them know the expectations first, and ref/AR1 manages that, and in these games I'll typically make sure the refereeing team has brought drinks to the sideline too, because if the players need a drink then so do I (but maybe put the drinks in a boot bag or something, otherwise players tend to get them mixed up with their bottles)

Drinks breaks are a good idea but they seem to be creeping into the game without any guidance on how and when they can be applied. For example, does it have to be a specific temperature, what duration is allowed, is coaching allowed during such breaks etc. As a referee I'd like to receive some instructions otherwise it is open to interpretation and abuse eg could a less fit team press for a drinks break if they were struggling?

In Australia each association has a severe weather policy, which includes the hot weather policy. That will dictate to have a drinks break at a certain temperature, but as we don't carry thermometers, you really just make the judgement call. Definitely discuss it before the game, but if it looks like players are really struggling and you feel like you should have arranged a break, maybe call the captains in and have a chat about it.

Aside from that, it's not a 'break', it's just a throw-in or goal kick that you're allowing a really long time for :)
Players stay on, subs and officials stay off. Can't avoid coaching in that period so don't try. Both teams have the same opportunity. Just keep it brief (1 or 2min).

I've never heard of it being open to abuse - and if the team is struggling so much that they're thinking of asking for a drinks break, then it could still be a legitimate safety issue. It's really not that big a deal.

As to 'how' - I explained in my earlier post. It doesn't need guidance in too much detail.

Just make sure you remember what / where the restart is - that's the only tricky part!

Drinks breaks are a good idea but they seem to be creeping into the game without any guidance on how and when they can be applied. For example, does it have to be a specific temperature, what duration is allowed, is coaching allowed during such breaks etc. As a referee I'd like to receive some instructions otherwise it is open to interpretation and abuse eg could a less fit team press for a drinks break if they were struggling?
Personally, if I feel like I need to take on fluids during a game, then I'm pretty sure the players do. If you get asked for a drinks break, then allow it and just add the time on. What difference does it make?

The only possible reason I may hesitate on a drinks break - especially 2nd half - is if it somehow gives one team a tactical advantage ... a team that is losing but building momentum would perhaps not want one - whereas the other team under a bit of pressure would be looking for one ... would just need to make sure the planned drinks breaks were fully communicated & agreed pre-game

I think it would be difficult for the laws to mandate at what temperature drink breaks should become allowed, and not least because grass roots/semi professional teams are extremely unlikely to have the correct equipment to give an accurate indication of the temperature.

A normal thermometer or the weather app on your phone would be OK but not ideal. Ideally you would need to use something like WBGT (Wet Bulb Globe Temperature), which takes into account things like humidity etc as well.

I think it would be difficult for the laws to mandate at what temperature drink breaks should become allowed, and not least because grass roots/semi professional teams are extremely unlikely to have the correct equipment to give an accurate indication of the temperature.

Okay, comments on temperature noted but my main issue is timing and frequency of drinks breaks.

Back