A&H

Doing my first mini soccer game this weekend

DaveMac

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
U11 girls 7 a side. No offsides and no assistants. Should be interesting. On a plus point I'm expecting goals as the home teams best result this season so far was 8-0. Three games in and they conceded 48 goals.

Has anyone else done any mini games. I'm fully expecting it to literally be a walk in the park!

The Referee Store
I've done a few mini soccer games. I normally have the two assistants though to help with ball in/out of play. It's generally a fair bit easier as you don't have to worry about offsides which is a great weight lifted.
I've found safety of the players is more important at that age and it is better stop the game quicker than you would in a normal junior game if a player is down and staying down. When I've let play go on, I've had managers walk on the pitch down the other end of the field to help a player while the ball is in play.

Also, remember that in mini soccer, members of the attacking team must retreat to the halfway line at goal kicks :)

I think I'm right in saying that u11's does not constitute 'mini- soccer' by f.a. standards

I may, of course, be wrong

I think I'm right in saying that u11's does not constitute 'mini- soccer' by f.a. standards

I may, of course, be wrong

Indeed you are correct. However I believe because of the lack of numbers for the girls they play mini soccer in this particular league.

Funnily enough, mike, I knew in my heart that I was right on this one but just covered all the angles ;)

About half of my games are mini-soccer, if I'm being honest all the other 17 laws go out of the window and you ref the whole game with law 18!

Mini soccer is my week in week out at the minute. Be prepared to see some chest passes at throw ins and plenty of falling over. Girls will probably roll about being "injured" a lot less than the boys I referee!

Mentor / guide the players as much as referee them. Don't coach, but remind them both feet on the ground during throw-ins etc. Be patient. Be prepared for bees around the honey-pot.

My 13 yr old son is undertaking his first "middle" for mini-soccer tomorrow, building up some practice before he can take the course and qualify early next year when he turns 14. That will be an interesting game :)

Up here in Scotland girls u12s always play the game the way you described above. Very easy to referee. They always listen to you and iv yet to see dissent when I was doing them. Some of the parents mind you act like its a champions league final. Hope all goes well!!!

I do my son's under 7's games most weeks.

Only stop the watch for head injuries
Defending team must retreat to halfway on goal kicks
get them to take the throws again if its an obvious foul, with a little demonstration if needed
If you have to tie laces, do it in a double knot :)
only award fouls if its really obvious

I also tend to be more lenient to the boys on handball, especially if the ball is at head height as all of them will put their hands up to protect their face.

Back