A&H

DOGSO-H

Ross

Forum VAR
Staff member
Level 6 Referee
FA Referee
So had my first ever DOGSO-H red yesterday. Hell of a save by the player to deny the goal. Whistle goes, point to the spot, call the player in to an absolute barrage of OFFINABUS too, separate report done for that. Show the red and off he goes, more abuse sent my way as he walks. After the game I’m informed by his team mates that I’m wrong, and that I can’t give the penalty AND send him off, it’s one or the other apparently. Not quite sure how I can dismiss him if I don’t award the penalty. Get my match fee thrown at me and the usual shouts of “we’re reporting you”

God I love refereeing

The Referee Store
So had my first ever DOGSO-H red yesterday. Hell of a save by the player to deny the goal. Whistle goes, point to the spot, call the player in to an absolute barrage of OFFINABUS too, separate report done for that. Show the red and off he goes, more abuse sent my way as he walks. After the game I’m informed by his team mates that I’m wrong, and that I can’t give the penalty AND send him off, it’s one or the other apparently. Not quite sure how I can dismiss him if I don’t award the penalty. Get my match fee thrown at me and the usual shouts of “we’re reporting you”

God I love refereeing

Fantastic logic there. You’d literally see it every week if the punishment was only a caution! But it’s exactly why I ask for the fee pre-game, if it’s a choice. Easy to say from the comfort of my living room but you should’ve left it on the floor and also reported them for not paying you.

Absolutely correct decision. As the law states:
Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence, the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs.

One small point of pedantry though - was this DOGSO or just denying a goal? I'd say the latter. The difference is, when it's denying a goal, you don't (logically speaking) have to apply the full four DOGSO considerations - you just have to decide if the ball was going into the net.

Back