A&H

Junior/Youth DOGSO-H Question

Matthew

RefChat Addict
Hi all

Quick question on an incident that I had in an U14 game on Saturday. Corner played into the centre of the box and was initially cleared, but it dropped to the attacker who took a shot from about 12 yards out; the defender on the line stuck out a hand and it hit him (no doubt that he was trying to save it), but it went in anyway such was the power on the shot. I gave the goal and almost immediately had to diffuse an altercation between the attacker and the keeper who helpfully decided to grab and keep hold of the ball which took my mind away from the goal itself.

It was only after the game restarted that it popped into my head that I should possibly have cautioned the defender on the line for the handball and it's been niggling at the back of my mind since.

Obviously it would have been clear cut DOGSO-H had he actually saved it, but grateful for any thoughts on this! :)

The Referee Store
While this thread is up. I have a similar question.
What would you do if lets say corner came in, attacker hits it, it hits the bar and a defending player catches it accidentally. No attacking players are near enough to play it and the ball wasn't going over the line. Still a red?

What would you do if lets say corner came in, attacker hits it, it hits the bar and a defending player catches it accidentally. No attacking players are near enough to play it and the ball wasn't going over the line. Still a red?

Sounds like a caution then, since it wouldn't be preventing a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity. Based on what you've said anyway. Bit of a strange scanerio though!

Interesting scenario as I cannot see how the defender can catch it accidentally, however, I would agree with SW20 a caution for deliberate handball as I do not see this as accidental.

Interesting scenario as I cannot see how the defender can catch it accidentally, however, I would agree with SW20 a caution for deliberate handball as I do not see this as accidental.
seen it happen. Youth game. u12s so he just sort of reflex grabbed it.

DOGSO (or Denial of Goal)
Successful attempt to...Red
Unsuccessful attempt to...Yellow

Is the situation with handball I think. If it is truly accidental as in the bizarre second scenario you can probably go PK and no card.

Under LOTG, as SWC says,, it is absolutely a caution. And U14 is certainly not an age to ignore that. (We could get into interesting philosophical debates at younger ages and when this should be reduced to a warning instead of showing plastic..)

Sounds like a caution then, since it wouldn't be preventing a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity. Based on what you've said anyway. Bit of a strange scanerio though!

And what's the caution for? This is probably just a PK, though it could be SPAA. (At the ages it might happen in the real world, it is probably just a PK.)

For OP, it a mandatory caution but if you have already restarted the game kept it out of your head and get on with the rest of the game. It would be an interesting question if you would have to write an incident report had the player already been on a yellow card.

This is not an accident, it's deliberate. Definitely no red. Not even a caution. The law is clear, DHB should be sanctioned if SPA or DOGSO. This is neither. Even though USB is open ended, I don't see any other reason to caution here.the law was changed a few years ago to stop referees cautioning for just 'blatant' handballs.

It was only after the game restarted that it popped into my head that I should possibly have cautioned the defender on the line for the handball and it's been niggling at the back of my mind since.

Not just 'possibly' - as others have said, this is a mandatory caution. The law is perfectly clear, and says that a player must be cautioned if that player:
handles the ball in [...] an unsuccessful attempt to prevent a goal.

For OP, it a mandatory caution but if you have already restarted the game kept it out of your head and get on with the rest of the game. It would be an interesting question if you would have to write an incident report had the player already been on a yellow card.

This is not an accident, it's deliberate. Definitely no red. Not even a caution. The law is clear, DHB should be sanctioned if SPA or DOGSO. This is neither. Even though USB is open ended, I don't see any other reason to caution here.the law was changed a few years ago to stop referees cautioning for just 'blatant' handballs.
If the ball's bobbling around pretty much on the line, I wouldn't automatically rule out SPA/DOGSO. If catching the ball has stopped it dropping at an attacker's feet, I think you'd need to be showing a card of some sort.

EDIT: Sorry, just read the rest of the post you were replying to and now realise that had been covered!

Reactions: one
Thanks all, really helpful. In hindsight it's such an easy decision to make and there's no way I should've missed it, so annoyed with myself on that front. On to the next one!

You can't catch a ball accidentally, you could accidentally handle it but the act of catching it involves your brain telling your arms to move into the right position.

Back