A&H

Distinct lack of pre-match inspections

Mooseybaby

Retired big bad baldy in all black!
Since my son started playing for a team at under 8's and started his u15s season yesterday, along with my days with the whistle, seen a fair bit of youth (and occasional OA) footy over the years, not to mention back in the day when I kicked a ball about.

One thing in particular I have noticed especially at youth level is a distinct lack of pre-match pitch/equipment inspections from referees. So many times over the years I have checked players boots and at least one player will ask me why I am checking their boots before the game as "no other referee ever does". Ran the line yesterday as a CAR for my son's team, young referee, not much older than the players, turned up about 10 minutes from KO, not even a hint of a pitch/equipment/kit inspection. Said hi to him, shock his hand, he handed me a flag and then walked off with out even a hint of pre-match instruction/request chat.

Is it referees being simply lazy with an inherent attitude of "it's only youth/grassroots football, so it doesn't matter?", are referees poorly trained or both?

The Referee Store
Eh Mooseybaby apparently you don't have to do them at certain levels in England? personally I thought the health and safety of players was paramount in the responsibilities for referees but nope let them wear slippers is the attitude!

I do a lot of youth football and I always check the pitch, check goals make sure about shin pads, jewelery and boot inspection, from mini soccer to U18s. Why wouldn't you I have never heard you dont have to do this at certain levels. I thought it was mandatory?

So did I Tino but on another thread here was reliably informed that no you don't have and players can where and do what they like, but hey ho wonder what other things are ignored?

Lets not go there!. But on Futsal there must be different safety checks, for the playing surface, some things like pads rings etc must be the same but would you check footwear? Surely even the dimmest of players would be in trainers?

So did I Tino but on another thread here was reliably informed that no you don't have and players can where and do what they like, but hey ho wonder what other things are ignored?
Just in case you meant me in another thread, note i clearly stated i am in another country;) If not, then, er, move along..,

@A Freethinker think you have countries mixed up. We have no exceptions in England. Though we were talking about AUS or the US in the other thread.

And re OP...I agree! Drives me nuts at my sons youth games. Two players from opposition clearly not wearing shin pads last week. So bad for players and negligence from the ref.

Sorry apologise for that I assumed most people on here were from UK and didn't think of the international brethren.
Saw a ref pitch up at weekend, 15mins before kick off went to changing rooms kit still dirty from previous match changed his foot wear came out blew whistle and started match, no inspection of kit/equipment and just to infuriate me was wearing a wedding ring and necklace. Honestly thought it was my mates trying to wind me up! :wall:

Sorry apologise for that I assumed most people on here were from UK and didn't think of the international brethren.
Saw a ref pitch up at weekend, 15mins before kick off went to changing rooms kit still dirty from previous match changed his foot wear came out blew whistle and started match, no inspection of kit/equipment and just to infuriate me was wearing a wedding ring and necklace. Honestly thought it was my mates trying to wind me up! :wall:
I wear my wedding ring when reffing never crossed my mind not to tbh why is that a problem?

I wear my wedding ring when reffing never crossed my mind not to tbh why is that a problem?
Page 62 of the good book:
"Referees and other match officials are prohibited from wearing jewellery or
any other electronic equipment."

Page 62 of the good book:
"Referees and other match officials are prohibited from wearing jewellery or
any other electronic equipment."
Fair enough. I was fortunate enough to ref at a professional clubs academy and got pulled up on a sock being (marginally) not pulled up but that was never mentioned! Live and learn I suppose

Referee wearing a wedding ring - disgraceful. Only FIFA referees should be allowed to get away with that!
LotG20142015-Cover.png

This is a scan of my print version - interestingly PDF versions online appear to have the wedding ring airbrushed out!

Back