A&H

distances to get to games

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
I live in quite a remote area and most of my games are a 30 minute car journey away (around 20 miles).

How far do you go to get to your Sunday games? I know Saturdays involve more travel.

The Referee Store
Generally no more than about 10-15 minutes drive through urban areas.

The odd one can be 15-25 minutes through a mix of urban and semi - rural.

Sundays are easy for me as I essentially live directly in the middle of the catchment area of the Sunday league I do. Most are just the other side of town, occasionally I might have to go 20 minutes?

Saturdays are a different matter. I do two "grassroots" leagues, one fairly local and based around me (max 25-30 mins), the other a slightly higher standard and so with a wider area (max 45 mins). But often on those two leagues, it's much closer than that and I can be at the ground in 10-15. I also do lines on a step 6 league - closest they've sent me is 30 minutes away, an hour is fairly standard.

Don't do Sunday games.

Most of my games rotate between local (barely any mileage) and the next town over, which is around 20-30 miles. But our county is quite large and rural so...

Don't do Sundays. Saturday's can be anything up to over an hour's drive each way, or worst case a trip that involves an hour each way on the car ferry.

Minimum 30min. Sometimes well over an hour. On average 45min around 30k each way. No travel allowance. These are state league games. 2-3 times a season I travel just over 100k ,1hr 40 min each way with a $30 travel allowance. These are state league games.

next season planning to go back to grassroots for half my weekends which would average 20min drive.

Obviously it depends on where you live, the geography of your area and how fixtures are allocated. I can get games at the park just across the road from my house. If travelling it is rarely more than 1/2 hour each way although there is one outlying team in my area which would be 45 mins each way. Fortunately the local league match secretary is good at keeping referee's fixtures reasonably local but still spreading it around a bit. I prefer a bit of travelling to/from matches as it gives a bit of time get in the right frame of mind on the way there then a chance to wind down on the way home.

Varies enormously even at my humble level. Limited number of Isthmian U18/U23s opportunities means I do take some that are over an hour to get to in midweek rush hour - even with a clear run those are usually 45 mins getting back.

Obviously do a fair few local games as well.

Back