The Ref Stop

Dissent/comments towards CARs

IslandRef

Level 7 Referee
Hi all,
Finished off last weekend with an entertaining and end to end U12 game. All was going very well for me with both managers very happy all day.
About 5 minutes to go and whites put in a possible winner until flag goes up from yellow CAR. Uproar from players and parents but nothing overly excessive. However, coach assisting white manager Is furious and I hear and see him yelling " he's a blatant bloody cheat. ****ing disgrace." louder than anyone else in the area. In the moment I knew the comments were directed towards the lino and not myself. I didn't act on it then but have been thinking it over the last few days and was wondering if a caution would've been necessary or indeed the acceptable action.
What do we think the correct action should have been or was I right in leaving it?

The Ref Stop
For the 90 minutes that club assistant referee is part of my team.

So what would you do if that language was directed at you?

If he had said you were a blatant cheat and a F*ING disgrace what sanction would you give?
If it is directly at myself, of course its a red for OFFINABUS. I assume that we give those same boundaries to anything said to CARs however as it wasn't said directly I wasn't sure whether it would be OFFINABUS or just a dissent caution.

If it is directly at myself, of course its a red for OFFINABUS. I assume that we give those same boundaries to anything said to CARs however as it wasn't said directly I wasn't sure whether it would be OFFINABUS or just a dissent caution.
If you say one option is dissent caution then by definition it means you agree it was about one of the match officials as dissent is always against match officials. Would any match official be offended if they are told directly or indirectly that they are "blatant bloody cheat. ****ing disgrace."? Absolutely.

Once you establish it's about a match official (yourself, nar or car) it's an easy red.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Finished off last weekend with an entertaining and end to end U12 game. All was going very well for me with both managers very happy all day.
About 5 minutes to go and whites put in a possible winner until flag goes up from yellow CAR. Uproar from players and parents but nothing overly excessive. However, coach assisting white manager Is furious and I hear and see him yelling " he's a blatant bloody cheat. ****ing disgrace." louder than anyone else in the area. In the moment I knew the comments were directed towards the lino and not myself. I didn't act on it then but have been thinking it over the last few days and was wondering if a caution would've been necessary or indeed the acceptable action.
What do we think the correct action should have been or was I right in leaving it?
This should have been a RED. The use of "cheat" and "disgrace" are trigger words. Also given this was a U12's match, the coaches are expected to set any example. He should be in the Car Park....

The other argument is that you didn't take action, so he thinks it OK. So, may do the same next week to a youth referee; when apart from it still be a RED, it could be argued that it is safeguarding issue, as he is trying to influence that youth referee's decision in his teams favour.

Back