A&H

Direct free kick in defending teams penalty area

The Monk

Level 5 Referee
Last weekend I was running the line in a veterans league match when a direct free kick was awarded for a foul on the goal keeper in the penalty area. The goal keeper played the ball to the full back but the ball didn't leave the box so I flagged. Several of the players including ex premier league ones said I got it wrong it saying that rule is only for goal kicks. The referee come over to ask what I flagged for so I said and he also said I got it wrong. Was I right or am I wrong?

The Referee Store
You were 100% right

Had the same one in a game a few weeks back being assessed, everyone in the whole ground was in up roar

After the the game the assessor came in and said he had to tell supporters I was right lol unreal

Had something like this happen to me in a friendly, awarded free kick to the GK. He took said free kick but it hit an attacking player before leaving the box, the ball ricocheted to another taking player outside the box who promptly scored what was his hat trick goal

Wasn't a very happy bunny when i disallowed it and ordered a re-take!

This happened in the League Cup between Middlesbrough and Everton in December. The Everton left back who received the ball went absolutely spare at the assistant, clearly pointing out that it wasn't a goal kick. They did it right next time though...

This happened in the League Cup between Middlesbrough and Everton in December. The Everton left back who received the ball went absolutely spare at the assistant, clearly pointing out that it wasn't a goal kick. They did it right next time though...
Must be something about Everton!!
It was former Everton player Lee Carsley who told me I was wrong!! Lol

Last weekend I was running the line in a veterans league match when a direct free kick was awarded for a foul on the goal keeper in the penalty area. The goal keeper played the ball to the full back but the ball didn't leave the box so I flagged. Several of the players including ex premier league ones said I got it wrong it saying that rule is only for goal kicks. The referee come over to ask what I flagged for so I said and he also said I got it wrong. Was I right or am I wrong?

Out of interest, what level was the referee? As when I did my LOTG test in November, one of the questions was about this time of scenario, i.e. attacker intercepting a free kick before it had left the penalty area.

Out of interest, what level was the referee? As when I did my LOTG test in November, one of the questions was about this time of scenario, i.e. attacker intercepting a free kick before it had left the penalty area.
I believe he was a level 5

Not quite same scenario but in a recent Premier League game a retake was ordered for a goal kick because an attacker was still in the penalty area. He didn't interfere and I thought that was one of the things no-one really bothered about.

Not quite same scenario but in a recent Premier League game a retake was ordered for a goal kick because an attacker was still in the penalty area. He didn't interfere and I thought that was one of the things no-one really bothered about.

Was he using pen area as a "short cut" to get across to challenge a defender?

You're right, would only stop play if that was the case, if no advantage to attacker and he's not interfering with play, I guess most of us would let game continue.

I blew for an attacker taking a short-cut on Sunday ... did make me wonder if I could have played an advantage should the attacker not really interfere ...

Picking on the honourable @Brian Hamilton and @lincs22 - is this situation similar to a foul throw-in that falls to the opposition - to be correct in law you can't play an advantage and let them keep possession (you must order the throw to be re-taken - albeit by the opposition!)?

I blew for an attacker taking a short-cut on Sunday ... did make me wonder if I could have played an advantage should the attacker not really interfere ...

Picking on the honourable @Brian Hamilton and @lincs22 - is this situation similar to a foul throw-in that falls to the opposition - to be correct in law you can't play an advantage and let them keep possession (you must order the throw to be re-taken - albeit by the opposition!)?

From Law 13

Direct or indirect free kick to the defending team:
• all opponents must be at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball
• all opponents must remain outside the penalty area until the ball is in play
• the ball is in play when it is kicked directly out of the penalty area
• a free kick awarded in the goal area may be taken from any point inside that area Indirect free kick to the attacking.

There is no option for advantage as the ball is not in play until it crosses the penalty area line. While the law says they should all be out of the PA, quick re-starts would be allowable as all as they don't interfere or seek to gain an advantage by running through the area.

I seem to recall seeing that -- was that in the Swansea v Everton game Sunday...?

I'm used to ignorant players and coaches having a big laugh at the stupid ref that thought it was a goal kick :rolleyes:
I would showing the referee the relevant page in the laws after the match.

Back