A&H

Did a miss a yellow when giving a red??

Russell Jones

RefChat Addict
Greens v Reds on Saturday. Nothing game with no cards until 80th minute when a Green sub's first tackle is a reckless one. Response from tackled Red player is to stand up and push him in the chest. Shout out 'stay there Red number 7' while I caution Green player for the tackle. Go back to Red player to caution for adopting an aggressive attitude. Before I can do so he says to Green player, "I'm going to effin do you, you c***". Decide that's a clear Red for Offinabus (much to his amazement and surprise!) but failed to show the original yellow ... is this ok as 'all part of the same incident' or should I have gone yellow then red?

The Referee Store
I'm interested to see the responses to this from the more experienced refs.

My initial thought is going straight for the red is the right approach. I think bringing out he yellow, then red would look confusing to everyone and short of being able to explain why you've done that to everyone there it could effect your match control.

No you have done the right thing it has to be a straight red, however in your report you need to explain the incident:-

In the X minute as i was about to caution Red 7 for adopting an aggressive attitude he said to an opponent "I'm going to effin do you, you c***". I then sent the player from the field of play for OFFINABUS etc etc etc.

Obviously use the words in your report and not effin's and ***'s!!

Agreed it would be confusing to show he yellow first - you wouldn't report the caution anyway once the red is shown.

If there's a single caution to a player and then a straight red, the caution should be reported, as they do accumulate (admittedly, in a variety of different ways depending on the league, level of competition, local FA, etc). If the red is a result of a second caution, then the cautions are reported as part of the dismissal.

At least, that's how things are done here in Canada, and while we're a pretty backward nation half the time when it comes to the game... we are good at documenting it! :)

Just go straight for the red; no reason to caution really. You should also record the caution, but no need to show it.

Thanks folks. So consensus seems to be 1) Don't show a yellow as it would likely confuse other players and affect match control but 2) inform player about caution and then report as usual. Any different points of view??

Id have given both, id have said im cautioning you for the first incident which is for adopting an agressive attitude, and now im dismissing you for OFFINABUS towards green. I would then fill in the caution form as per normal and fill in the sending off form as per normal

Back