A&H

Derby frustrations?

afronaut81

Level 7 Referee
Had a local grassroots derby today (as background this is only my 11th game) and really tested me. A crowd of maybe 80 too so there were some annoying voices in the crowd. I started with a low tolerance to fouls and think I got through the first half well. Ball hit me and went to the opposition whereupon it was clear several players and spectators didn't know the Law change this year for the restart - by the by though.

Second half players started giving me loads of complaints for late challenges, handballs and all sorts. There really wasn't much in any of them so I was mostly letting play run. I did blow for a fair few fouls nontheless!

The only goal came in the second half with a 50 yard shot that the wind helped along and lobbed the keeper - it was a very windy second half. Then with 10 minutes to go pretty much everybody starts going 'how much time left' at every opportunity and completely distracting me. I shouted out "6 minutes lads" at one point but still got asked again within a minute.

One particular player really got me. At one point at a throw I noticed he had interlaced his arm with another and when the throw came he turned and took the player. I cautioned for Unsporting Behaviour. He was regularly asking about decisions throughout the game but not completely being dissenting. It was still highly annoying and his attitude was completely off. After the game he came up to me and said something that I'd runied the game which I don't think is a fair reflection.

What can I do to get better match control/ deal with annoying players?

The Referee Store
The main tools you've got are the coloured bits of plastic in your pocket. You don't have to actually use them, but your authority basically comes from the threat of them and the reminder they exist.

You don't mention talking to or warning any of the players at any point? I don't know if you're aware of the "stepped approach", but it basically exists to try and remind players that they're walking towards a card. Warn them quietly, warn them publicly, warn them with the captain and then if that still doesn't get the message in then no one will be surprised when they end up spending 10 minutes on the sidelines. It's perfect for the kind of persistent low-level griping that you describe.

Unfortunately, you'll just need to get used to players asking you how long. You're the only person on the pitch allowed to wear a watch and even if a manager does think to start a watch, their timekeeping is a guess at best. The best thing you can do is announce the time loudly to try and make sure as many people hear, and don't get distracted. If you're being asked this often, you should have a pretty good idea what the time is without needing to look at your watch - so don't, just shout it as you run.

Last edited:
It doesn't seem like there are major issues from your post?

What I mean is, what exactly is giving you cause for concern about your match control in that match? What incidents exactly can you remember? Appeals and complaints are just part and parcel for most the part, but if they're getting excessive talking to them to tell them to knock it off, or going for a caution for dissent are two routes you can use to deal with them. But it may be better to tune that sort of thing out instead.

Annoying players I prefer to ignore completely and if necessary wait for them to inevitably walk themselves into the book. Best not to get dragged into their discussions, they're just trying to wear you down and, well, annoy you into a mistake.

Like I said though, what incidents seem to highlight any issue with your match control?

There wasn't actually a flash point. Just loads of calls for 'ref have you seen that' 'ref that's a foul' 'how many more late ones ref'

I suppose it's down to how to spot a foul and lower my tolerance of nippy little fouls that 'in the old days' you would just play on but nowadays players expect more protection from

At the end the player manager of the losing team told me how how I had rubbished that game. Something that I actually feel quite annoyed by as tbh I tried to be consistent and none of my decisions made any supreme impact on the outcome

I probably should have been a lot keener for the plastic but I also was trying to officiate to the level.

Fair enough.

Are you communicating your decisions to the players? I don't mean chatting to them, but say, where you spot a minor foul are you shouting 'advantage' so they all know you've seen it and are prepared to let play continue? If there's an incident and you're happy with it, shout 'fair challenge' or 'no foul' etc, that can help cut out some of the appeals.

Try and be proactive in some of these situations, for example, if you have a player who is fairly enthusiastic with his challenges, but they're just teetering on the line of fair/foul, have a quiet word with him as you run past that he needs to be more controlled. Same thing with little stuff you've played on for, let the offender know that you've seen it and they need to be careful, assuming you didn't lose track of him of course!

Regarding 'late challenges', a good habit to get into is to keep your eye on the person passing/playing the ball for an extra second, especially if he's about to be challenged. Players like leaving a little foot or knee in to catch them with the follow through, if you keep your eye on them that extra second you can clamp down on them when they do occur. This might feel uncomfortable at 11 games in, because you don't want to miss something where play is going, but it's worth practising as you'll start getting an instinct as to when to stay with the person playing the ball and when to move on quickly to the action-zone. Just something to consider, if you're already doing this, then that's great.

Regarding the cards, don't be afraid to use them, just make sure you use them consistently. Heaven knows, I get good use out of my cards if you look at my statistics in my signature, and my assessments have demanded more use of them!

The last bit I can give advice on, is don't pay too much heed to players saying you've ruined the game. You can have a blinder of a match, 10/10 performance and someone will still say you ruined things. Ignore them. If you go for promotion at some point - and I always advise trying to go for one even if you're not too serious about going up the ladder - you can get multiple assessors who will advise you better on foul detection, consistency and match control as they will see you face to face and can tailor their advice to you and the level you're at currently. They can then reassure you if you have any doubts/questions, and I guarantee you that even with assessors giving you a super high mark, you will get a player complaining.

To give you a great example of this, I had a game where I was assessed. At that game an off-duty assessor attended as did the RDO. Post-match, one player complained to me and all three of the senior officials about a red card decision that all four of us were in agreement was a red card. Some people just want to fight and lash out and will argue that black is white and vice versa. Don't let them get under your skin.

Fair enough.

Are you communicating your decisions to the players? I don't mean chatting to them, but say, where you spot a minor foul are you shouting 'advantage' so they all know you've seen it and are prepared to let play continue? If there's an incident and you're happy with it, shout 'fair challenge' or 'no foul' etc, that can help cut out some of the appeals.

Try and be proactive in some of these situations, for example, if you have a player who is fairly enthusiastic with his challenges, but they're just teetering on the line of fair/foul, have a quiet word with him as you run past that he needs to be more controlled. Same thing with little stuff you've played on for, let the offender know that you've seen it and they need to be careful, assuming you didn't lose track of him of course!

Regarding 'late challenges', a good habit to get into is to keep your eye on the person passing/playing the ball for an extra second, especially if he's about to be challenged. Players like leaving a little foot or knee in to catch them with the follow through, if you keep your eye on them that extra second you can clamp down on them when they do occur. This might feel uncomfortable at 11 games in, because you don't want to miss something where play is going, but it's worth practising as you'll start getting an instinct as to when to stay with the person playing the ball and when to move on quickly to the action-zone. Just something to consider, if you're already doing this, then that's great.

Regarding the cards, don't be afraid to use them, just make sure you use them consistently. Heaven knows, I get good use out of my cards if you look at my statistics in my signature, and my assessments have demanded more use of them!

The last bit I can give advice on, is don't pay too much heed to players saying you've ruined the game. You can have a blinder of a match, 10/10 performance and someone will still say you ruined things. Ignore them. If you go for promotion at some point - and I always advise trying to go for one even if you're not too serious about going up the ladder - you can get multiple assessors who will advise you better on foul detection, consistency and match control as they will see you face to face and can tailor their advice to you and the level you're at currently. They can then reassure you if you have any doubts/questions, and I guarantee you that even with assessors giving you a super high mark, you will get a player complaining.

To give you a great example of this, I had a game where I was assessed. At that game an off-duty assessor attended as did the RDO. Post-match, one player complained to me and all three of the senior officials about a red card decision that all four of us were in agreement was a red card. Some people just want to fight and lash out and will argue that black is white and vice versa. Don't let them get under your skin.

Thanks there's some good stuff there. Definitely the proactiveness is something I need to work on. I came away from a game this morning and thought to myself- I was too quiet there.

Again a player said I was rubbish but they had also lost 6-3. Equally some players complained at the free kicks I gave (a push in the back awarded the FK and players moaning that refs like me are ruining the game) whilst others wanted more protection.

Who'd be a ref ?!

With experience you get to develop a thicker skin on 'annoying' things which would help you keep focus on the game rather than the annoying player. Awareness of this fact may help you develop that 'skill' faster.

For me constant and frequent questioning of yourdecisions, even if not aggressive, is dissent. I do give a couple of soft warning for those, then a clear public warning followed by a caution. It all depends on the atmosphere of the game though.

@RobOda has pretty much nailed what I was going to say word for word. Just takes a tough skin and a selective sense of hearing sometimes. Chirp up sometimes with the little "clean tackle, less of the arms, just caught him there, etc" or whatever. Player(s) asking why get THE answer. It's not a "I thought X or it looked like Y", it's factual - Trip by #5 and that's where it stops... cos you've moved on physically and mentally. If a player's gonna live in your head, he should be paying rent.

The time countdown thing pisses us all off - I usually find the skipper or the one with the biggest gob and tell him "last five" or whatever - they always bellow it out. The rest you can ignore unless they're within reasonable distance. Can't be dealing with glancing at my watch every thirty seconds when there's decisions to be made (and I know of players and staff that will persistently ask to distract you).

Go get 'em champ. Looks like you've got the self-analysis thing down well.

I would suggest that in a Derby or a top of the table clash or even a game with a bit of passion/niggle that you start the game with a very low tolerance level for tackles/infringements. If you let things go with the purpose of allowing the game to flow, in your mind that's a positive but as far as spectators, subs, coaches and other players are concerned, you've missed it and are therefore incompetent. It sets an impression in their mind and players find it difficult to change that mindset during the match. Be strict but be correct and everything else should in theory fall into place.

If you let things go with the purpose of allowing the game to flow, in your mind that's a positive but as far as spectators, subs, coaches and other players are concerned, you've missed it and are therefore incompetent. It sets an impression in their mind and players find it difficult to change that mindset during the match.

I think this is a key part of it and something I'll work on.

Unfortunately it doesn't help when players don't know Laws - e.g. ball blasted at naturally positioned hands at short range is NOT a handball thank you - so still think you're incompetent!

Oh well I can only try and educate as I go :)

How long left ref. I don't like getting distracted by taking eye off match to look at my watch, so I state I will let you know at next break of play. I then do this very loudly so most players will hear me.

I'm not too fussed about being asked 'how long left?' - if there's stuff going on I often say I'll let them know in a minute. The ones that get me are where they say 'how long has gone?', as it's always unexpected and often means I say something stupid out of habit!

Back