A&H

"Deliberate"

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
One for our historians to help me out with please.

On my 'other' forum, a poster has told me that the word 'deliberate' DID use to be in the laws in relation to foul tackles, up until the 1990s - is that true?

Thanks

The Referee Store
From memory I think they changed it from "fouls an opponent" to "tackles or challenges", with the preamble of the referee considering it to be careless, reckless or using excessive force.

That said, I didn't start until 1997 so could have been different before then.

No. The word was "intentional."

The first great re-write moved from intentional (which was a term of art that didn't mean what it sounded like) with deliberate for handling and C/R/EF for other fouls. With respect to handling, nothing really changed with the word change (though eventually some tried to differentiate the two words to bolster their interpretations).

When "intent" was the requirement, it was really aimed at an act, not a result. So a player that intentionally swung his foot was deemed to have intentionally committed the foul. In practical terms, fouls didn't change a lot with C/R/EF, as those would have, generally, fallen into the term of art understanding of the what the intentional requirement really meant.

For anyone interested, attached is a picture of law 12 from 1975. The left column is the Law, and the right column is the "Decisions of the International Board," which was the precursor to IFAB's Q&A, which was the precursor to the Interpretations that were in the back of the Magic Book until they were merged into the Laws themselves in the second great re-write.

Attachments

• Law 12 circa 1975.jpg
    Law 12 circa 1975.jpg
    843.6 KB · Views: 18
Just for historical accuracy: the first great rewrite was in the late 30's when the laws were codified into the format we still use (until then for example, offside was in Law 6). 1997 was technically the second great rewrite and 2016 the third. It's an interesting progression: Laws first written in 1863: 74 years till first rewrite; 60 years till second; 19 years till third.

For anyone interested, attached is a picture of law 12 from 1975. The left column is the Law, and the right column is the "Decisions of the International Board," which was the precursor to IFAB's Q&A, which was the precursor to the Interpretations that were in the back of the Magic Book until they were merged into the Laws themselves in the second great re-write.
Excellent - thanks for that

No. The word was "intentional."

The first great re-write moved from intentional (which was a term of art that didn't mean what it sounded like) with deliberate for handling and C/R/EF for other fouls. With respect to handling, nothing really changed with the word change (though eventually some tried to differentiate the two words to bolster their interpretations).
You would think it was part of the 1997 rewrite because so many changes were brought in then and the time frame 'seems' right (and I used to think that for a while till I checked, a few years ago now) but in fact the removal of the word "intentionally" from the law, as regards physical contact fouls came in 1995, not 1997.

See screenshot from the 1995 IFAB meeting minutes below:

IMG_20210207_130628.jpg

You would think it was part of the 1997 rewrite because so many changes were brought in then and the time frame 'seems' right (and I used to think that for a while till I checked, a few years ago now) but in fact the removal of the word "intentionally" from the law, as regards physical contact fouls came in 1995, not 1997.

View attachment 4787
Thanks Peter

Fascinating. I was out of refereeing for many years at that time, and when I came back I had always heard it was part of the great re-write.

Fascinating. I was out of refereeing for many years at that time, and when I came back I had always heard it was part of the great re-write.
Well as I say, for a long time I had assumed it was also but there was one time when it was being discussed and being the pedant that I am, I decided I had to find the actual wording - and also look to see if there was a reasoning given (as it turned out there wasn't, unfortunately).

Imagine my surprise when I found that it wasn't part of the "great rewrite" of 1997.

Luckily it didn't take me too long, checking backwards through my IFAB meeting minutes archive, to find it in the record of the 1995 meeting.

Back