A&H

Delaying the Restart

Tim - 2013

Level 7 Referee
I have to ask as its eating me.

At what level of play is a statue at a free kick not a warning then a YC?

I watch a lot of English and German league pro soccer to learn.

The Premier league's allowance for failing to retreat 10 yards on FK, statues, kicking the ball away, taking the ball for a walk and then tossing it away...

This is every week and I find it frustrating to watch when my own assessors and instructors hammer Law 12 and 13.

Watch for it, ceremonial kicks, warnings, quick on statues.

Am I alone? When does ignoring it begin?

The Referee Store
It's one of those where as you progress in the game the expectation is that you 'manage' this - ie. never sanction for it unless it's so ridiculous it can't be ignored. I don't agree at all, and it clearly causes us problems at grassroots, but that is the way it is.

Shouting to move works well. If they don't move after that then a booking is more likely to be accepted. Problem I expect at higher levels is that no amount of shouting assists because no one can hear it. That means that any booking, except in the rarest if circumstances, looks arbitrary and as though the referee wants to be the 'centre of attention', if I can borrow an overused meaningless pundit's phrase.

As you progress, its a given your foul detection, fitness, knowledge of the lotg and so on are exemplary. Its taken for granted as a done deal as say a sg1 or 2, or even slightly lower, that you have the required hallmarks of a top referee

with those boxes preticked, what we need to see next is how you as a person manage whats put in front on you,

its those qualities, and how they suit the requirements of, in this case, your employer, that will define you as a referee.

you are ring master of the circus refereeing the elite, and we know how upset the paying public are when the much anticipated flying elephant fails to appear as advertised. We need folk to buy the tshirt with the kangaroos on them, we need candy floss sold in industrial quantities, The more the clubs generate, the more you will pocket.

running away with the ball is all part of the show, if its a home player, the home crowd cheer, if its the away player, the home crowd jeer.

which should remimd us of pantomine, How apt at this time of year

its like Snow White and her dwarves, your pitch will have a fast one, a slow one, a rough one, a skillful one, a grumpy one, a brand new one, an old head one

your role is to best manage them thro your show

" remember if xxxx is on a yellow, he gets slightly more leeway than normal, we need him on the pitch" Is also something we dont need to agree with

happy xmas
"

Man City and Wolves. Red card...2yc...FRD

Funny that FRD is called, yet immediately later ManCity has two defenders within 10 yards preventing a free kick pass.

Its ok to violate the 10 yard requirement. Just dont stick your foot out.

Last edited:
I had missed the 2YC and only caught a glimpse.

Now, after seeing the replay, I wonder whether it was FRD.

In the US soccer ref training and videos, the free kick law 13 videos have several scenarios.

A Statue is almost an auto YC.

But, the retreat of ten yards, or lack thereof, is treated as a wait and see.

We're told not to say anything like "back up". Giving instructions are considered stopping the FR and making it ceremonial.

So, I keep my mouth shut.

A FR can be taken quickly. When this is done, there is no infringement for FRD.

Now, if a defender touches the ball from a FR, we are asked, did the defender interfere or intercept.

To know the difference, interference is when the touch is made when encroaching. That is, if they are 5 yds away and step forward, moving close, contact is FRD.

But, to touch the ball moving side to side, reaching out and remaining the same distance, or further retreating and intercepting the FR, there is no infringement.

Watching the replay, it is possible this is no YC. I though he reached out laterally.

I had missed the 2YC and only caught a glimpse.

Now, after seeing the replay, I wonder whether it was FRD.

In the US soccer ref training and videos, the free kick law 13 videos have several scenarios.

A Statue is almost an auto YC.

But, the retreat of ten yards, or lack thereof, is treated as a wait and see.

We're told not to say anything like "back up". Giving instructions are considered stopping the FR and making it ceremonial.

So, I keep my mouth shut.

A FR can be taken quickly. When this is done, there is no infringement for FRD.

Now, if a defender touches the ball from a FR, we are asked, did the defender interfere or intercept.

To know the difference, interference is when the touch is made when encroaching. That is, if they are 5 yds away and step forward, moving close, contact is FRD.

But, to touch the ball moving side to side, reaching out and remaining the same distance, or further retreating and intercepting the FR, there is no infringement.

Watching the replay, it is possible this is no YC. I though he reached out laterally.

But none of that is in law. The only question you can ask under law is did he delay the restart of play, and the only possible answer is yes. It's as obvious a yellow card as you are ever going to see.

If he delayed the restart, the card is before the kick. The card came after the intercept.

I have to ask as its eating me.

At what level of play is a statue at a free kick not a warning then a YC?

I watch a lot of English and German league pro soccer to learn.

The Premier league's allowance for failing to retreat 10 yards on FK, statues, kicking the ball away, taking the ball for a walk and then tossing it away...

This is every week and I find it frustrating to watch when my own assessors and instructors hammer Law 12 and 13.

Watch for it, ceremonial kicks, warnings, quick on statues.

Am I alone? When does ignoring it begin?
I don't know about German but for EPL, you are watching the wrong games to learn how to referee. Player and game management is of a high standard in EPL but there is a lot more to refereeing than that.

Back