A&H

Defenders want advantage

Think is just happened. Spurs v man u. Davies fould young. Ball goes to man u defender. MD blows for the foul and Davies indicates advantage...

MDs response.. "I'm reffing this game.."
Didn't notice that one, but I saw a couple of the excellent advantages he played. And one he waited about 3 seconds to see what happens and brought it back for the free kick as there was no benefit to the attacking team (I think it was Man U).

The Referee Store
I must confess if I'm refereeing a side taking a beating I will go for the free kick unless the advantage is EXTREMELY obvious.
Also as others have said, possession on it's own does not equal advantage

So as referee you are choosing for the team what is an actual advantage, even though they have made it clear what the best advantage is FOR THEM??

I do agree it takes us onto thin ice because someone could relate it to other match control issues, I do get that
But surely its not for us to deny a team an advantage that they have already made it clear they wish to benefit from? Its their right to a free kick when a player is fouled and the laws are there to benefit a team who have been fouled?

As far as I'm aware, the only reference to a team being able to decide what's best for them mentioned in the LOTG is at the coin toss (choice of ends). The rest is up to the referee.

Advantage presents itself in the attacking third of the field by whatever is happening at that split second in time.
Playing advantage purely because the attacker retained possession after a foul is something I'd generally only do if it was in their own half or near half way. That's in the interests of keeping the game flowing and normally what the players would prefer.

However, if I see a clear advantage develop in the final attacking third of the pitch, then that's exactly what it is and I'm playing it - irrespective of whatever some coach has told me.
How much of a complete spoon are you going to look by bringing a player who is suddenly through on goal back for a free kick outside the area because of some pre-match request by his coach?
No, it's the referee's call, based on what's in front of him every time for me.

By the same token, if a coach approached you before the game and said, "Ref, just for the record, we'd like you to play advantage every time today instead of giving the free kick - even if it's in our own area" - would you? :rolleyes: ;)

As far as I'm aware, the only reference to a team being able to decide what's best for them mentioned in the LOTG is at the coin toss (choice of ends). The rest is up to the referee.

Advantage presents itself in the attacking third of the field by whatever is happening at that split second in time.
Playing advantage purely because the attacker retained possession after a foul is something I'd generally only do if it was in their own half or near half way. That's in the interests of keeping the game flowing and normally what the players would prefer.

However, if I see a clear advantage develop in the final attacking third of the pitch, then that's exactly what it is and I'm playing it - irrespective of whatever some coach has told me.
How much of a complete spoon are you going to look by bringing a player who is suddenly through on goal back for a free kick outside the area because of some pre-match request by his coach?
No, it's the referee's call, based on what's in front of him every time for me.

By the same token, if a coach approached you before the game and said, "Ref, just for the record, we'd like you to play advantage every time today instead of giving the free kick - even if it's in our own area" - would you? :rolleyes:;)

my point was, as much as as referee we are controlling the game, we should not always be judge of what is best for the teams, nobody is saying pull it back when the guy is clearly through on goal, of course not, its those, maybe ones, our judgment on it is purely from a referee point of view, the team who have been fouled do in reality deserve the fk, and in the name of our own principles we risk taking it away from them in the interests of making ourselves all high and mighty.
my example was based on a factual situation where the manager did have this chat for near 20 years.
and no, it does not mean 100 times out a 100 soon as a possible advantage is there, we instantly go, nope, free kick

bear in mind am talking a senior professional side here, not the sunday pub league, where of course its a total guess as it what happens next

An advantage is designed to be beneficial to the offended team and if the coach has already told you what would be most beneficial to his team, its worth due consideration.

Reactions: Kes
Imagine a foul. 30 yards out. Maybe advantage, maybe not. You make your judgment call and play advantage
For purpose of this post, it breaks down. Shout from coach
"ref, the best advantage you can give us is the fk, like I said before hand"

ref "I will decide whats better for your team,, not you".

Its this principle I have an issue with. It does not sit comfortably with me.

I think an additional problem we all face when not giving advantage is that as soon as we blow the whistle the team without the ball (and most of the team with the ball) stop immediately, but the player with the ball may continue for a moment and, as everyone else has stopped, the field has opened out in front of him and it appears as if he would have had a fantastic advantage, but if you hadn’t have blown he’d have been closed down in moments and gained no advantage.

I think an additional problem we all face when not giving advantage is that as soon as we blow the whistle the team without the ball (and most of the team with the ball) stop immediately, but the player with the ball may continue for a moment and, as everyone else has stopped, the field has opened out in front of him and it appears as if he would have had a fantastic advantage, but if you hadn’t have blown he’d have been closed down in moments and gained no advantage.

Correct, its almost like giving an offside, esp when working alone, the defender has by the time you blow stepped back, making it look like the player is onside when you stop the game.
Advantage wise, all you can do is be calm and say "when i stopped the game there was no obvious advantage, at least this way your guaranteed to kerp the ball"

Er.. I don't think so
He was once top dog and rarely made mistakes, but I wouldn't say this of him now
He had an excellent game Spurs/Man U however

Don't think he was ever "top dog". He was always behind Poll and then Webb when it came to the top games, and it is only recently he has started getting the big games again. All opinions, but I think he has been superb this season.

I think Mike Riley has been the best ref for a few seasons now. He was always the referee brave enough to enforce the new (yet short lived) initiatives such as shirt pulling/holding in the penalty area from set pieces etc. He's strong in his decision making and not afraid to give the close calls as he sees it. He's fantastic. He's also comedy gold. GOAT

As for advantages. I sometimes play advantage in a teams own halve depending on circumstances. E.g. on a 3g pitch with 2 teams that want to get the ball down on th3 deck and play, everyone is happy if there's a foul but the team have the ball unchallenged even in their own halve. On a mud bath with 2 teams that go long ball, very few advantages to be played. You soon get a feel for the game and how everyone wants to play it

If their was one referee that I was similar to its MD, I was never in his league obviously but I like his mannerisms, he's a bit quirky but he dishes those card out like he means them, no apologetic look, its just 'have some of f'kin that'... Sad when he hangs up his whistle because i haven't seen anyone coming through to lace his boots!!

If their was one referee that I was similar to its MD, I was never in his league obviously but I like his mannerisms, he's a bit quirky but he dishes those card out like he means them, no apologetic look, its just 'have some of f'kin that'... Sad when he hangs up his whistle because i haven't seen anyone coming through to lace his boots!!

hope not off topic but, I admire his fitness if nothing else...so slim and always up with play, without checking he must be early 50s?
an example to us all

Back