A&H

David Baddiel, Social Media, Anger & Us

Big Cat

RefChat Addict
Level 4 Referee
Wondering if anyone watched this documentary on BBC2 tonight
I'll leave that hanging there, but I found it quite fascinating as it made me think about some of the Topics discussed on this Forum recently

The Referee Store
Anyway, most interesting telly I've watched for a while. Other than RefChat, I'm a very light user of Social Media. I've never really considered the psychology of posting online; as such I've not really thought about the dynamics of how we interact on this platform
Or should I say, what and why I post on here

Also, they spent a bit of time talking about 'Cancel Culture'. I didn't know it had a name, but that's essentially what we were talking about WRT David Elleray recently (his historic racist comments)

In particular, it made me think about the exchange I had with @socal lurker at the weekend. We had a minor spat about something & nothing, but the documentary made me really consider the nature of these online disagreements and how they can impact on our mood and stuff

Anyway, for anyone with access to 'catchup', I'd recommend the program
Ironically, I've never really liked DB that much, but I'll see him in a different light from now on

Thanks for the recommendation. I read about it yesterday and wondered whether it was worth a watch, given your comments I’ll watch it on catch up.

Nothing to do with refereeing, but as a teacher (with a pastoral role in addition to my classroom teaching) social media causes a huge amount of problems that simply didn’t exist when I first picked up the chalk a quarter of a century ago.

I’m sure I’ll report back once Ive watched the documentary

Interesting.

I was taken aback a little while ago when the Head of Football (and a fellow QPR fan) at the well known public school I referee for said, (jokingly), that he spent most of his time reading what I said on the fans message board I frequent :eek: (The only 'social media' I do, apart from on here).

Since, I've just been about to launch into a rant on there, when I've thought of him and decided against it. We DO forget, at times, that real people, with real feelings do read the stuff we post.

Back