A&H

Cup Match

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Game between reds and blues.

For me, it went well. Maybe a couple of learning points. But for me it was the last 5 minutes or so that done me in.
No cards as felt I was managing players well.
One player end of first half I called over for a chat to calm him down. His frustration was boiling into verbal comments, not enough to caution (no sin bin up here) but wanted to let him know I was listening and he doesn't want to cross the line.
Again about 10 from the end of 2nd half he is losing his cool (his team just conceded twice in 5 minutes to go 4-2 down). Again I've called him over and with captain this time I've said he needs to cool it or I will caution. Captain told him to be quiet.
Now, the next 10 minutes.
2 cautions for delaying the restart by winning team followed by a caution for the player who just couldn't keep his mouth shut. Hindsight maybe should've cautioned him earlier but either way he got it eventually.
Then a caution for a defender who basically took a player out who was holding the ball in the corner (losing side brought it back to 4-3).
So 2-2 now in cautions.
Game finishes.
Player who is about 15 yards away shouts in my direction, in anger, "how much they ****ing paying you, you cheat?"...
Shown him a red card.
Coach comes storming on, wants to know what for. I said for foul, and/or offensive language. He asked me to repeat (in an aggressive tone), so I did. And he now asking what was said. I said it'll be in my report. He saying I won't tell him because I don't know exactly what he said but then said I can't send him off for asking how much they're paying me (guess he didn't hear the cheat comment then). He then said I'll make it up in the report as it'll give me time to think of what was said and make it look bad.
He then questioned my ability and said I was shocking and again approached me in an aggressive manner and said I was "****ing awful" and wonders why he never sees me at his age group because I am shocking. So I showed him a red card. He asked what for, and again I said "for the same thing. Foul, abusive and/or offensive language". I then walked away, but walked backwards to keep an eye on him.

What an end to what I thought was a good battle.

The Referee Store
The learning point here is, " whats the red for"

" foul offensive insulting"

" what he say?"

' what he said I have classed as foul, offensive, insulting"

least said, soonest mended,

There is always a cloud waiting to urinate on a sunny day sadly

Seems like I wasn’t the only one with an eventful cup game today then. Glad I had neutral assistants or it could’ve been very difficult.

- Home side 1-0 up after 2 minutes.
- Home side down to 10 after 24 minutes (2 very poor challenges, the second borderline caution/send off in its own right)
- 2 penalties, 1 scored, 1 missed
- Another red for double caution late on; oddest thing about it was I’d given the attacker the free kick before he lost his head completely
- 5 other cautions
- 2 bad knee-to-knee collision injuries.

So glad reports are now tick box.

Moot point on manager red card

I'd probably have stuck him with entering FOP to confront match official. That way what was said becomes irrelevant or a 2nd charge in an extraordinary incident.

The only other thing that stands out was no yellows because I was managing the players well. Does this mean yellows were not given in place of managing? This could have contributed to the turn in the games temperature.

I also wouldn't have two public chats with a player. 3Bs. B*locking (captain or not!) . Booking. Bath.

I had the same problem Saturday, mass confrontation at the end of the game from manager, sub, players and a spectator, questioning, quite aggressively, why I had allowed a perfectly good last minute equaliser. The lesson I learnt is to stop with the friendly warnings earlier in the game and next week, will card/sin bin more often.

Moot point on manager red card

I'd probably have stuck him with entering FOP to confront match official. That way what was said becomes irrelevant or a 2nd charge in an extraordinary incident.

The only other thing that stands out was no yellows because I was managing the players well. Does this mean yellows were not given in place of managing? This could have contributed to the turn in the games temperature.

I also wouldn't have two public chats with a player. 3Bs. B*locking (captain or not!) . Booking. Bath.
There wasn't any fouls or cumulative ones to justify them, but it was a game between two top of the table sides who think they're all Ronaldos so went down as if they'd been shot.
I admitted I probably should've cautioned the 2 public warnings one earlier so that's definitely a learning point.
And didn't think of the way to deal with coach as you described. So I thank you for that advice.

There wasn't any fouls or cumulative ones to justify them, but it was a game between two top of the table sides who think they're all Ronaldos so went down as if they'd been shot.
I admitted I probably should've cautioned the 2 public warnings one earlier so that's definitely a learning point.
And didn't think of the way to deal with coach as you described. So I thank you for that advice.
Yep, you can always have a quiet discreet word as an extra step but it's just never a good look pulling the same player in publicly twice.
I'm sure you have but the new bit with the manager warnings/cautions/send offs is good reading. I am still familiarising myself with them but there are a few good ones in there that are easy to apply.

Back