A&H

cup final yesterday

richard ramjane

RefChat Addict
football, sun what could be better?!
everything went well, got there in plenty of time, teams were in good spirits... top two teams in the league, local derby, fight the previous time i had them, my senior asst sent off one of the players the day before.

my senior has been reffing 25 years, is an observer ive subsequenetly discovered, and was a perfect gent, really made me feel comfortable. the other fella was completely the opposite.... i'd requested 1-15 meet , he turns up 1-30
i'd asked if they could manage collar and tie, he turns up in jeans and a tee.
lags behind in the warm up... not attentive during match instructions, disappears when we are all waiting in the tunnel... doesnt do equipment check ... shakes his head at me and rolls his eyes when we cross at a throw, disappears again after trophy presentation.... dont take the fixture if you dont wanna do it !

didnt spoil what was a great day for both teams ( well, apart from the losing team of course,but even they conceded they lost to the better side on the day )

The Referee Store
My Cup Final as 4th official, with my next door neighbour in the middle went OK.

One "orange" tackle right in front of man who was fouled's bench was "interesting"

Ref went with yellow, that was fine, but could equally see why bench wanted ref.

Of course the guy who got the yellow card then opened the scoring!

They (the aggrieved bench) did get a bit "lively" later - my neighbour had to come over to calm them down.

They acted all innocent after he had gone saying they were "only expressing an opinion - which was allowed":rolleyes:

I did point out that "expressing an opinion" isn't shouting out from 50 yards away that the ref should go home!

All calmed down in the end - the lively bench lost 3-0.

Found out after the match that at their previous cup final appearance several years ago there were 5 red cards, 10 yellows and a dismissal from the technical area :eek: - so we got away lightly:p - only 1 other yellow issued in the end.

Congrats on a good game.

Shame your junior ar decided to act the ****.

Maybe he thought he should have been in the middle instead?

If you don't want to be an AR just refuse the appointment. There is no excuse for being an idiot. There are enough refs who would be happy with that appointment.

Depends on your personality, I would have no problem at the end of the game saying casually, "thanks for your help today, I did ask if we could manage shirt and ties, its not a biggie but you looked a bit out of place, and personally I found it a bit rude not to at least pretend you were interested in my pre match, I would like to think if you gave me the prematch, that I would pay attention, all the best for the rest of the season.

If you really wanted to be prim and proper about it, a simple email to the referee association manager and I would probably tell the guy that I was going to do such, that way you yourself don't come across as sly.

ive spoken to a couple of more experienced refs about it and i've been told he's always like that when he's not in the middle.
i'll take that as part of my learning experience, and will be much better prepared to deal with anything like that as and when it occurs in the future.
A good bit of advice i got from one guy was that regardless of the AR's level i should consider it my game, my dressing room, my 'gig' as it were and to manage it accordingly. If theres something i dont like, dont be afraid to address it.

Ok, each to own, for me, having vast experience as both referee and assistant, considering everything as the referee to be about my game etc is asking for a fall, portray that kind of attitude and nothing is surer than, you will give a pen which is clearer not a pen, the assistant might be the one who can bail you out but hey, you know what, cos its all about you, he will keep quiet and the cup final ends 1-0 to a wrong pen. Yes you can take control of the surroundings/atmosphere but if you have neutral appointed assistants then it must be a team effort
I know if I as assistant saw say, a v/c red card and could bail out the ref, I would do it, regardless of my attitude to being on the line but I can fully understand an assistant who would do the opposite and say inside to themselves, well, your game, you deal with it
its about striking a balance.
If this guy is known for his attitude, then, all the more reason to fire in a wee email to ref manger or whoever is appropriate in your area, you never know, he might be appointed next to a game with a new/nervy referee and the whole game might fall apart because of the assistants attitude.

yup, i appreciate that , i dont mean to say its my game as in a diva kind of way. I do tend naturally to have an emapthetic nature and i'm sure i can reflect that in this situation too.
There are ways and means of dealing with things, but on this occasion my inexperience led me to let him get away with being deliberately obtuse (dunno if thats really the right word!
The man that told me he's always like this... ? The ref sec that appointed him.... maybe a little test for me? Either way I dont mind.
I'd actually happily work with the guy again if it came to it. On the day i didnt say anything to him about what he was doing, but had I have done so he may have apologised. Not his fault that I didnt pull him up on anything.

As has been said, there's no excuse for behaving in this way when an AR.

The mindset has be to be different.

If I'm refereeing, I'm the boss, I expect my team to follow my lead. That said, if they work hard for me, part of my 'contract' with them is that I will run through walls for them and back them 100%. That includes dealing with players who try and drive a wedge.

If I'm assisting, I'm there to help the referee have a great game and nail it. I'll follow his instructions. I'll be as involved as he / she wants me to be. If there's a decision I think is a bit 'strange' (typically throw-in where ref is strongly leading) I will go with that, rather than have a worse impact on his match control by doing the 'right' thing.

lags behind in the warm up... not attentive during match instructions, disappears when we are all waiting in the tunnel... doesnt do equipment check ... shakes his head at me and rolls his eyes when we cross at a throw, disappears again after trophy presentation....

What a twonk.

A good bit of advice i got from one guy was that regardless of the AR's level i should consider it my game, my dressing room, my 'gig' as it were and to manage it accordingly. If theres something i dont like, dont be afraid to address it.

This is great advice. When I first got level 4 a couple of seasons ago, I found it difficult to manage these "personalities" (or w***ers as I prefer to call them) and a senior colleague gave me the above advice. It's your dressing room, it's your game - you run the show.

As has been said, there's no excuse for behaving in this way when an AR.

The mindset has be to be different.

If I'm refereeing, I'm the boss, I expect my team to follow my lead. That said, if they work hard for me, part of my 'contract' with them is that I will run through walls for them and back them 100%. That includes dealing with players who try and drive a wedge.

If I'm assisting, I'm there to help the referee have a great game and nail it. I'll follow his instructions. I'll be as involved as he / she wants me to be. If there's a decision I think is a bit 'strange' (typically throw-in where ref is strongly leading) I will go with that, rather than have a worse impact on his match control by doing the 'right' thing.

Love this, great take on it.

Back