A&H

CRY ARS quick free kick

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
The talking point will be VAR sending off Auba. It was a RC. Perhaps Tierney should have caught it in real time. It took VAR too long. This would have been a perfect opportunity to go to the pitchside monitor. During the game the fans unveiled a large "killing football" banner. Correct decision. Dogs dinner though.

But much more interesting - in the 90th min, Lacazette makes a YC challenge on half way. Palace take it quick before Arse can get back in shape. But Tierney stops play to give the YC! This would have been a perfect opportunity to use the new law, allow the quick free kick, and caution at the next stoppage. I understand the difficulty of managing crowd expectations here - but what is the point of this law if top flight refs cannot implement it?

For it to work the ref needs some kind of signal - this would also help us at basic advantage-yellow situations... what about if the ref could take the yellow out and hold it until the next stoppage? That would be a very clear signal, make sense of the QFK and advantage-yellow scenario, help for TV and at grassroots, wouldn't it?

The Referee Store

But much more interesting - in the 90th min, Lacazette makes a YC challenge on half way. Palace take it quick before Arse can get back in shape. But Tierney stops play to give the YC! This would have been a perfect opportunity to use the new law, allow the quick free kick, and caution at the next stoppage. I understand the difficulty of managing crowd expectations here - but what is the point of this law if top flight refs cannot implement it?

For it to work the ref needs some kind of signal - this would also help us at basic advantage-yellow situations... what about if the ref could take the yellow out and hold it until the next stoppage? That would be a very clear signal, make sense of the QFK and advantage-yellow scenario, help for TV and at grassroots, wouldn't it?

Haven't seen it but since the offence occurred on the halfway line, the quick free kick sounds like a promising attack rather than a "clear goal-scoring opportunity" which is what the law requires to delay the caution.

It was a RC. Perhaps Tierney should have caught it in real time. It took VAR too long. This would have been a perfect opportunity to go to the pitchside monitor.
This.

As I said over in another thread, if there's anything that shows there is a directive in the EPL that referees are not to use the pitchside monitors under any circumstance, whereas no such directive exists for the FA Cup since they have been used, this is it.

The time it took for the red card to be shown after VAR looked at the incident has been mentioned - one curious thing is there was quite a long delay after the BT commentators had said they'd heard it was going to be overturned before the red card was shown (both Martin Keown and Peter Walton ahd time to give their views before it was produced.) Not quite sure why this was.

The time it took for the red card to be shown after VAR looked at the incident has been mentioned - one curious thing is there was quite a long delay after the BT commentators had said they'd heard it was going to be overturned before the red card was shown (both Martin Keown and Peter Walton ahd time to give their views before it was produced.) Not quite sure why this was.
...I don't think they knew for certain but it started to be obvious. As they watched the replays, the severity was clear. And if "we've" learned anything from VAR it tends to be that as the VAR time stretches to 90 seconds plus then the decision is going to be reversed by VAR (RC, offside etc.)

...I don't think they knew for certain but it started to be obvious. As they watched the replays, the severity was clear. And if "we've" learned anything from VAR it tends to be that as the VAR time stretches to 90 seconds plus then the decision is going to be reversed by VAR (RC, offside etc.)
I know. It is ridiculous.
The Villa pen, yesterday, took ages to confirm the decision. It needed one look. Yes pen. Done. I don't get why it took so long for Jon Moss to get the all clear.

They said 'We're hearing that the decision is going to be overturned and a red card will be shown' so they were pretty categorical - there have been lots of occasions when the commentators have declared what the decision will be before the referee has actually indicated it but normally there isn't such a delay between the two.

Fair enough;)

I was watching and didn’t catch that. Is it possible the stadium big screen editors are in the same ”studio” as the broadcasters in the stadium so they get a whiff?

Fair enough;)

I was watching and didn’t catch that. Is it possible the stadium big screen editors are in the same ”studio” as the broadcasters in the stadium so they get a whiff?

I'm not certain exactly how it works but I think the commentators are given information directly form Stockley Park. The BBC commentators said on the Arsenal V Leeds commentary last week 'We've just heard the words check complete', although I'm not sure if they hear this directly from the VAR or another party who is the room for that purpose - I think maybe the latter?

As you say, there is obviously communication with those operating the screens/announcements at the stadiums.

I'm not certain exactly how it works but I think the commentators are given information directly form Stockley Park. The BBC commentators said on the Arsenal V Leeds commentary last week 'We've just heard the words check complete', although I'm not sure if they hear this directly from the VAR or another party who is the room for that purpose - I think maybe the latter?

As you say, there is obviously communication with those operating the screens/announcements at the stadiums.

If will be coming through the Premier League productions floor manager, those that you see between the dug outs in suits and holding what looks like an old school walkie talkie. I suspect they'll have a feed from Stockley Park and they will pass that on to the commentators. It's similar to added time, the commentator often knows how much will be added well before the board goes up, that's because the floor manager has asked the 4th official and then relayed it.

Back