The Ref Stop

CRO ITA

Ridiculous accusation and shows you have no argument.
Tbf you haven’t really shown your argument to prove why Makkelie is a “top referee”. All you have been saying is that we are “so wrong again”. As others have said, his signalling is extremely confusing and would not go down well with observers. That may be his ‘style’ of refereeing but it doesn’t truly work if you are confusing many people watching the game. And where did those 8 minutes at the end come from?! 🤨

Last edited:
The Ref Stop
Tbf you haven’t really shown your argument to prove why Makkelie is a “top referee”. As others have said, his signalling is extremely confusing and would not go down well with observers. That may be his ‘style’ of refereeing but it doesn’t truly work if you are confusing many people watching the game.
One main thing the way he controls games no other referee is as good. Others get flustered whilst he looks like he couldn’t care less when someone is agitated.

Play nicely folks, this is in danger of getting out of hand.

There is absolutely zero doubt that Danny Makkelie has been once of the top UEFA referees for a long time, you don't get the longevity and the appointments he has had if that isn't the case. Equally, there is zero doubt that he made an incorrect KMI decision in his last game, that much is undebatable as VAR corrected him. That means he certainly won't have received a "top mark", he will have got a 7.9 and that will seriously limit his chances of progression in this tournament.

Play nicely folks, this is in danger of getting out of hand.

There is absolutely zero doubt that Danny Makkelie has been once of the top UEFA referees for a long time, you don't get the longevity and the appointments he has had if that isn't the case. Equally, there is zero doubt that he made an incorrect KMI decision in his last game, that much is undebatable as VAR corrected him. That means he certainly won't have received a "top mark", he will have got a 7.9 and that will seriously limit his chances of progression in this tournament.
Ahh I forgot we are not allowed to have different opinions. Embarrassing you would comment this. What is the point of a forum if you can’t discuss things 😂

Ahh I forgot we are not allowed to have different opinions. Embarrassing you would comment this. What is the point of a forum if you can’t discuss things 😂
You're allowed to have sensible discussions, of course, this is a forum.

@RustyRef was rightly pointing out that some comments, not just necessarily yours, were very close to the line of requiring moderation.

Of course football is a game of opinions, and everyone is entitled to theirs. So telling people they are wrong, because they disagree with you, does not reconcile with your point in this post and is what I would call somewhat hypocritical.

Please, by all means debate the topic, feel free to disagree with users where you hold a different opinion, please do so politely and respectfully, and with an actual point, and we'll keep the thread ticking along. Or, carry on bickering (applies to all) and we will simply put a fork in it 😊

Not embarrassing at all, debate / discussions stops being debates / discussions when someone keeps telling others they are wrong. That is saying they are correct and everyone else is wrong, and is akin to ending a post with "end of", it is arrogance and a refusal to accept that others, even when in the vast majority, are correct.

If you want evidence that forum members support this approach to moderating I'd suggest you look at the number of likes to my reply, and @JamesL's subsequent reply, versus the total lack of likes to your post. Healthy debate is absolutely fine, once you go down the route of just telling everyone else they are wrong we will step in. Even more sore when you are absolutely clearly and factually incorrect, you were adamant that he would have received a top mark and that is factually impossible as he had an incorrect KMD and therefore would have received a 7.9. Expected level performance is 8.3 to 8.4, a very good performance is 8.5 to 8.9, the marking scale is here if you are interested. https://refereeingacademy.blogspot.com/p/uefa-referee-marking-scale.html

Not embarrassing at all, debate / discussions stops being debates / discussions when someone keeps telling others they are wrong. That is saying they are correct and everyone else is wrong, and is akin to ending a post with "end of", it is arrogance and a refusal to accept that others, even when in the vast majority, are correct.

If you want evidence that forum members support this approach to moderating I'd suggest you look at the number of likes to my reply, and @JamesL's subsequent reply, versus the total lack of likes to your post. Healthy debate is absolutely fine, once you go down the route of just telling everyone else they are wrong we will step in. Even more sore when you are absolutely clearly and factually incorrect, you were adamant that he would have received a top mark and that is factually impossible as he had an incorrect KMD and therefore would have received a 7.9. Expected level performance is 8.3 to 8.4, a very good performance is 8.5 to 8.9, the marking scale is here if you are interested. https://refereeingacademy.blogspot.com/p/uefa-referee-marking-scale.html
I appreciate the condescending reply and it’s clear you just don’t like Mr Makkelie.

I appreciate the condescending reply and it’s clear you just don’t like Mr Makkelie.
So I didn't say this then, oh wait, yes I did ...

There is absolutely zero doubt that Danny Makkelie has been once of the top UEFA referees for a long time, you don't get the longevity and the appointments he has had if that isn't the case.

As I said, play nicely. If you don't we will take the ball home with us so you can't play 😂

Not that surprised, although it appears Turpin has survived and he got two KMDs wrong in a single game.

I think Turpin entered this tournament as one of the clear top 3 in Europe (Marciniak and Orsato) and on top form. So yes he missed two KMDs in Scotland/Germany but he used VAR effectively to fix those errors and otherwise his management in situations that weren't VAR eligible was immaculate (IMO).

I think Makkelie is entering the tournament after his second season that was at least disappointing to what you've come to believe he's capable of. He just simply doesn't have the insurance built up like Turpin does right now.

I think Turpin entered this tournament as one of the clear top 3 in Europe (Marciniak and Orsato) and on top form. So yes he missed two KMDs in Scotland/Germany but he used VAR effectively to fix those errors and otherwise his management in situations that weren't VAR eligible was immaculate (IMO).

I think Makkelie is entering the tournament after his second season that was at least disappointing to what you've come to believe he's capable of. He just simply doesn't have the insurance built up like Turpin does right now.
That shouldn't really matter, if they are doing things on meritocracy it shouldn't matter what credit you have in the bank, it should be based on your performances in that tournament.

Embarrassment from uefa as usual the favourites well past it get to stay !!!!!

Danny can be still proud of an excellent tournament and we all know he should be doing the final but uefa’s golden boy will probably get it. Or Anthony Taylor who has been very poor 😂

That shouldn't really matter, if they are doing things on meritocracy it shouldn't matter what credit you have in the bank, it should be based on your performances in that tournament.
Yes, I mean as you always point out.... getting KMDs wrong and needing VAR to bail you out.., that surely results in a poor score for the Ref
If that scoring counts for anything, you're going home. But I doubt it
How on earth can 'effective use of VAR' be credited. That simply equates to the Ref got a KMD wrong. End of

Genuine Q
Has a Referee given a PK for HB unnatural position so far? Are the R's being told to leave these 'tricky' decisions to VAR? Is leaving those 'freeze-frame' unnatural position (and other difficult KMDs) to VAR now a 'competency'? Are the R's told to only give clear PKs on-field?
I'm not being facetious (on this occasion!). I ask questions that I don't necessarily believe to be true, but have a fair degree of plausibility nonetheless

Yes, I mean as you always point out.... getting KMDs wrong and needing VAR to bail you out.., that surely results in a poor score for the Ref
If that scoring counts for anything, you're going home. But I doubt it
How on earth can 'effective use of VAR' be credited. That simply equates to the Ref got a KMD wrong. End of
Effective use of VAR isn't credited, at least not for the on-pitch officials. If they get it wrong they get an incorrect KMD regardless of VAR bailing them out. Hence why Makkellie has gone home.

Effective use of VAR isn't credited, at least not for the on-pitch officials. If they get it wrong they get an incorrect KMD regardless of VAR bailing them out. Hence why Makkellie has gone home.
We're talking about Turpin and a potential final appointment despite two missed KMDs in one game

Back