A&H

Criticised for... good refereeing

The Referee Store
I'm not a fan of managers telling officials whether or not to play advantage or not. That's down to the referee to decide

Not seen any games in the UK with him reffing, how's he going with the transition? He seemed decent in the land of Oz!!

Not seen any games in the UK with him reffing, how's he going with the transition? He seemed decent in the land of Oz!!
He did well with his selection of when to play advantage (and not just to piss off Mr Bowen). He also remembered to come back and caution two players after he did this. On one of his cautions, the player offended against was receiving treatment for injury. This went on for around 45 seconds after the caution procedure was completed. As such it was not completed quickly, the referee should have instructed him to leave the field, but he allowed him to remain on the field. Later in the game, two Reading players injured each other with a clash of heads. Only one required treatment. He (Gillett) appeared to consult with AR1 before deciding that the player who received treatment should (correctly) leave the field of play.

His movement around the field was at the standard I would have expected. He also waved down an AR who went a little early on an offside signal. Another attacking player ran past the "offending" player and took control of the ball. He correctly waved down the AR and told the players to keep going. I actually applauded this decision. He wasn't fooled by players (primarily Reading) throwing themselves to the ground in the hope of getting a free kick.

Last edited:
He did well with his selection of when to play advantage (and not just to piss off Mr Bowen). He also remembered to come back and caution two players after he did this. On one of his cautions, the player offended against was receiving treatment for injury. This went on for around 45 seconds after the caution procedure was completed. As such it was not completed quickly, the referee should have instructed him to leave the field, but he allowed him to remain on the field. Later in the game, two Reading players injured each other with a clash of heads. Only one required treatment. He (Gillett) appeared to consult with AR1 before deciding that the player who received treatment should (correctly) leave the field of play.

His movement around the field was at the standard I would have expected. He also waved down an AR who went a little early on an offside signal. Another attacking player ran past the "offending" player and took control of the ball. He correctly waved down the AR and told the players to keep going. I actually applauded this decision. He wasn't fooled by players (primarily Reading) throwing themselves to the ground in the hope of getting a free kick.
Once an observer, always an observer :)

Once an observer, always an observer :)
I'm getting better at being "just" a spectator BUT whenever anyone scores, my first look is to the relevant AR to see if the flag is up. :)
Leeds are winning again so @Brian Hamilton and @alexv have rejoined society and turned their internet data back on!!! ;)
It's half term Daz, I've got some free time to sit on my backside before stepping back into harness for another 6 weeks.

I'm getting better at being "just" a spectator BUT whenever anyone scores, my first look is to the relevant AR to see if the flag is up. :)
It's half term Daz, I've got some free time to sit on my backside before stepping back into harness for another 6 weeks.
:old:
I ALWAYS look at the referee at Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium before commencing my polite celebration applause;)

Sometimes referees don't help with this. If there is a foul on the edge of the penalty area it is only a clear advantage if they immediately get a shot away and score, or play it into someone in the box who has a clear chance. Too often, including at the top levels, you see referees acknowledge the foul and then play advantage even though the ball has been played out to the touchline. That isn't an advantage, far from it, and the attacking team would much rather have the free kick and a shot at goal.

Sometimes referees don't help with this. If there is a foul on the edge of the penalty area it is only a clear advantage if they immediately get a shot away and score, or play it into someone in the box who has a clear chance. Too often, including at the top levels, you see referees acknowledge the foul and then play advantage even though the ball has been played out to the touchline. That isn't an advantage, far from it, and the attacking team would much rather have the free kick and a shot at goal.
So why don't the observers pick them up on this identifying it as a development point?

So why don't the observers pick them up on this identifying it as a development point?

I suspect it comes from the Premier League where they will try to play advantage no matter what, referees and even observers see this and think it is the norm. Certainly if I was a coach I would want a free kick if the foul was level with the goal and up to 10 yards outside the area, I'd only want advantage if there was a very obvious chance of scoring.

Observers think a ref playing an advantage in the final third is ****ing brilliant and they tick that box on the form so hard the clipboard needs a cigarette.

Observers think a ref playing an advantage in the final third is ****ing brilliant and they tick that box on the form so hard the clipboard needs a cigarette.
If it ****s up their match control and doesn't lead to something good, I'll be making a "naughty boy/girl" note on my pad.

Are observers just failed assessors? 😂
Yes Daz that's right, we are

Back