A&H

CRB check

Jdmills

I have completed my LOTG online course today along with safeguarding !

do I need a CRB check if I want to ref open age ?
TIA

The Referee Store
Yes, because open age teams could have 16 or 17 year olds playing and they are classed as children.

Really? I've not had one for 7 years and only got it this year so I could mentor

Umm, unless the guidance has changed, this is not correct. You should not be sharing a changing room with any referee that is under 18.

Obviously not at the same time 🙄but you may need to use the Same facility albeit at different times so you are still sharing the changing room! Which also leads to safeguarding and ensuring your u18 colleague has somewhere safe to go whilst you change etc.

There was (and still is for some) the issue of joint travelling where you and another CRB checked referee may need to share transport twith your u18 colleague. Lots of reasons why it is now a mandatory requirement to have been DBS checked.

So, let me get this right ... ALL FA registered referees now require the (enhanced ie for U18 youth) DBS check to officiate in football, irrespective of whether they do youth football or not?

Presumably this now means that any correctly registered referee can therefore officiate on kids football?

So, let me get this right ... ALL FA registered referees now require the (enhanced ie for U18 youth) DBS check to officiate in football, irrespective of whether they do youth football or not?

Presumably this now means that any correctly registered referee can therefore officiate on kids football?
That is my understanding.

Hang on, I might be wrong.. I think I had to do mine for mentoring and observing!!!

That is my understanding.

Hang on, I might be wrong.. I think I had to do mine for mentoring and observing!!!

I only ask because that was always the case.

I can't find anywhere that actually says otherwise?

I phoned the FA's CRC helpline number and they told me I'd have to ask my County FA!!

To be honest, it's a tad worrying that it might only be down to County FA's to stipulate that particular policy (that's if it's even true) when something like that should be carte-blanche FA-wide.

I also can't help thinking that in the current climate, with a shortage of referees nationwide, that having to also pursue and obtain a DBS check just to officiate in adult games (when it wasn't required before) will just be another obstacle placed in front of some referees that will help them "turn off".

Does anybody have anything in writing from the FA that actually says DBS is now required for all?

Certainly observers and mentors need DBS, the FA have made that mandatory from this season.

Back