A&H

Couple of questions?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3014
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3014

Goal keeper picks ball up, rolls it out couple of feet then picks it up again, idfk?

Also where do you stand on players doing the following..

Lino sticks flag up you don’t blow for offside because the defending team clearly made a play for the ball & it came off there man last, defender proceeds to pick ball up & place to take free kick BUT you haven’t blown whistle.

Free kick in dangerous area just outside box nearish to corner flag, you clearly look taker in the eyes and say on my whistle whilst holding whistle up he nods, u make your way back to get in position low and behold ball goes flying over your head & they nearly score, goes out for a corner.

Could anyone shed some light please all three happened to me in one game on Sunday, u17’s & who said teenagers never listen to there elders.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Referee Store
1) Correct, IDFK
2) Attacking DFK or Penalty for HB
3a) Retake
3b) Discretionary caution for USB (FA code for unspecified imo)

1) Correct, IDFK
2) Attacking DFK or Penalty for HB
3a) Retake
3b) Discretionary caution for USB (FA code for unspecified imo)

Thanks I kinda knew the restarts but was wondering where you stood on it as far as actually punishing the infringements or letting them go not the keeper one of course.

Tbh the game I did was end of season dead rubber bottom of the league team about 5-1 down, the game had turned into a bit of a joke to be fair, keeper trying to beat eleven men sprinting down the field that kinda thing, I let both of my points go as it really wasn’t worth the hassle it turned into nothing more than a kick about.

I did have a little chat with the lad after he took the quick free kick for the offside, I said didn’t u forget something, when did I blow my whistle? Anyway it wasn’t worth the hassle of awarding it the other way then explaining why etc etc the whole pitch thought it was a free kick for offside but nobody had bothered to wait for the whistle, even the lad offside just gave it up.

The second incident again takingwithout my whistle I didn’t even bother speaking to him, the team in question are the whipping boys & it was played like a muck about in the end, I even had three lads ask me to end the game early when they went
7-1 down.

But I was interested to know if Any of you guys had a moment where a player does something instinctively without hearing your whistle do you ping them for it or if it’s of no advantage to them just turn a blind eye.

Also if you have any story’s on this please share..

Play to the whistle lads, amazing how many times you see it on a field, players assuming there getting the decision without a ref actually blowing.

Also if you have any story’s on this please share..

Two this season, that I already posted elsewhere;

1 - Long ball to the touchline, player jumped up, realised he was never going to head it, and caught the ball. Freekick, and everyone took the piss out of him for it.

2. - Attacking player gets fouled outside the box, I play advantage, his team-mate receives the ball inside the box, clear chance to take a shot. He flicks the ball up and catches it. Whistle, freekick to defending team. His own team were not amused (with him, thankfully!) and we moved on.

Situations like that, I think the ribbing is punishment enough.

Oh, one I just remembered.

Keeper touched the ball twice with hands. Gave an IDFK, got surrounded. Opposition player thought he would be clever and took a quick freekick by tapping it into the net. Looked a bit sheepish when his mate pointed out it was indirect. Didn't pull that stunt again. Not that I was ever going to allow that to be taken quickly anyway given the position I was in. @_@

Goal keeper picks ball up, rolls it out couple of feet then picks it up again, idfk?

Also where do you stand on players doing the following..

Lino sticks flag up you don’t blow for offside because the defending team clearly made a play for the ball & it came off there man last, defender proceeds to pick ball up & place to take free kick BUT you haven’t blown whistle.

Free kick in dangerous area just outside box nearish to corner flag, you clearly look taker in the eyes and say on my whistle whilst holding whistle up he nods, u make your way back to get in position low and behold ball goes flying over your head & they nearly score, goes out for a corner.

Could anyone shed some light please all three happened to me in one game on Sunday, u17’s & who said teenagers never listen to there elders.
#1 - IDFK to attacking team. GK has relinquished control placing it on the ground and rolling it
#2 - Handball - If I am going to disregard the linesmans flag, I will generally wave it down and announce it "deliberate play by the defender!" which heads off many issues
#3 - rekick - it happens. Players get excited and focused on their play. As you have stopped play and indicated play will not restart absent the whistle, the ball never went back into play. The original restart should control the restart. If you feel there is misconduct address it prior to the retake

and as to your question as to whether these should be penalised.... These are not trifling nor dubious. Allowing the player to dictate what fouls you will call erodes game control (i.e. the offsides handball). Unless they are 6 years old, they should know better. I would recommend backpedalling into position for free-kicks to help head off any early takers. I tend to make a loud announcement while hold my whistle up high pointing to it "we will go on my whistle and not before"

Last edited:
On #3. the more common mistake scenario not to retake is when the ball is kicked straight out. Some inexperienced referees would just give it a goal kick saying it was your choice to kick it, I told you to wait. And if the referee gives a retake the defenders will protest "but he kicked it. You can't give them a second chance".

If you don't retake the FK no matter what the outcome is you are digging a hole for yourself on the next one when you ask on the whistle and you do want a retake if kicked early. Which means asking "on the whistle" becomes meaningless.

And the response to any defender saying you can't give them a second chance is simple, they never had a first chance, had they scored, it won't have counted.

Fair points, had the game not have turned into a end of season circus then I would have pinged both of them, listening to the referee & whistle was a bit of an issue for this team, at 17 I would have expected better but there you go.

Was just interested more if any of you guys were ultra picky, so if your instruction was slightly ignored not deliberately maybe just over enthusiastic player not listening, do you address it every single time even if it’s of no advantage to them ignoring you.

I guess as covered if u ignore minor things they could bite you in the backside further into the game if the opposition do the same thing.

1. Idfk
2. Handball
3. Caution and retake. Should be nothing discretionary about the caution, they’ve acknowledged your instruction to wait for the whistle.....so it’s just a complete pisstake. Just get them in the book and carry on.

Agree with the majority on the first two. Caution on the last is just about optional although I'd say you want to do it 90% of the time It can either come under dissent if it's done to try and undermine your control, or delaying the restart if you think they're trying to waste time by kicking the ball away and forcing you to reset everything again.

3. Caution and retake. Should be nothing discretionary about the caution
come under dissent if it's done to try and undermine your control
Fair enough. Over recent months, i've been more immediate with cautions and less tolerant of player nonsense. The ploy is definitely working better than the 'smart words' i was previously using. The change of tactics is the result of your advice and that of others on the forum

1) IDFK
2) DFK or Penalty, caution or dismissal possible depending of circumstances
3) Retake. You could caution, I guess it would come under dissent, but I think you’d need to take other things into consideration

Back