A&H

County FA Hearing..

Bournref

Level 6 Referee
Hi Everyone, I Have got to attend my first hearing next week. Just wondering if I will be able to claim for fuel. as I face a 60 mile round trip!
Does anyone have any experience of this, please?
I have been called as a county 'witness' as one player has accused another of racist comments, which I did not hear at the time, nor was it reported to me at the time.

The Referee Store
Just out of interest, do they know that's what you're going to say when asked for your version of events?

Just out of interest, do they know that's what you're going to say when asked for your version of events?

Yes, I have already submitted a written report months ago and have nothing more to add, so the whole trip is a bit of a pain TBH!

I'd get on the phone/email to clarify then.

Seems a complete waste of time to drag you miles and hours away to say nothing

Reactions: JH
I'm with es1 on this. If you have nothing to say really then the panel that you present to will say 'thank you for your time' and there'll be nothing to add to their deliberations.

Definitely worth a call as this seems a futile gesture.

But yes they should pay your mileage.

Ah but you have to attend and the appealing player/club have to have their opportunity to seek clarification. From experience you will have your report read out or be asked to do it yourself. You will then be asked if you have anything further to add and your answer should be "no".
The club/player will then attempt to ask questions, accuse you of making it up or creep like that and generally dig themselves a deeper hole and leave with a greater punishment for wasting the committee's time......and yes you can claim expenses.

Thanks for the replies, yes the letter made it clear that I was 'expected' to attend, which I don't mind as a whole, but some expenses for fuel would be good! They make no mention of expenses in the letter, which is why I was asking.
Just wanted to clarify also that no charge was bought to their attention by me, this was one player accusing another.

Thanks for the replies, yes the letter made it clear that I was 'expected' to attend, which I don't mind as a whole, but some expenses for fuel would be good! They make no mention of expenses in the letter, which is why I was asking.
Just wanted to clarify also that no charge was bought to their attention by me, this was one player accusing another.
They'll get you to fill a form on the day, then will pay it into your bank account within 5-7 days.

Yes you should certainly be able to claim expenses. It's a responsibility of a referee to attend hearings when needed, yes they can be a pain but it is part of the role.

It would be wise to check with your County FA in advance as they vary as to how and when they reimburse mileage and any other costs which may arise. If you are a member of the local RA, they will guide you re your county's way of doing things at hearings (they vary by county!)

Yes you should certainly be able to claim expenses. It's a responsibility of a referee to attend hearings when needed, yes they can be a pain but it is part of the role.
Does sound like an ideal situation for a webinar / Skype call though. Saves travelling time (and pollution) for the same result.

A 60 mile round trip is a pain especially if you have nothing to say but it is usual for expenses to be paid in these cases. I've only ever had to attend one hearing in my refereeing career and my opinion is that if you are called it is important to attend if nothing else to demonstrate your integrity. If you don't attend you are likely to (wrongly) get the 'couldn't even be bothered to turn up' line.

Just casually tell 'em that you're gluten free in your correspondence.

Might make them put on some sandwiches as they think you'll be expecting it, and the CFA ol' fellas love some expenses-paid food.

Hi Everyone, I Have got to attend my first hearing next week. Just wondering if I will be able to claim for fuel. as I face a 60 mile round trip!
Does anyone have any experience of this, please?
I have been called as a county 'witness' as one player has accused another of racist comments, which I did not hear at the time, nor was it reported to me at the time.

Fuel costs are a given. ;)

Each County FA will have their own method for providing this (as mentioned already) but you'll probably be asked to fill out an expenses/mileage form as soon as you get there, after which someone from the FA will likely reimburse you in cash before you leave from a petty cash tin. I say this because that's what my County do and since your travel costs are likely to be only £20-£30 it's just easier. Either that or you'll be asked to provide your bank details on the form so that they can pay you that way a day or two later. :)

Back